Cavern Intro Cave (TJ with DAYO SCUBA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did Cavern/Intro in October (TDI) in doubles and I just finished TDI Cave a couple of weeks ago. To get ready for Cave, I got, and read, the NSS-CDS Cave Manual, the NAUI Cave 1 Manual, the TDI Manual (definitely NOT worth buying), GUE Cave 1 Manual and NACD Cave Manual. As far as I can remember, NONE of those agencies "permit" thirds at the Cavern or Intro level for a diver in doubles. This leads me to wonder about the following statement:

OK, fun time is OVER, the dive is called on rule of thirds...my tanks are banging

This seems to say the OP was diving doubles at the Intro level and did his dive on thirds. This just doesn't seem right to me.

Now that I've re-read the post, I also wonder about the following
have to grab on to the main line to exit the cave
Did you really mean to write "grab on" instead of "OK" the main line? It's my understanding that one should NEVER "grab on" to the main line (or any other).

Or am I just being nitpicky because I'm missing a cat?

I did Cavern/Intro in October (TDI) in doubles and I just finished TDI Cave a couple of weeks ago. To get ready for Cave, I got, and read, the NSS-CDS Cave Manual, the NAUI Cave 1 Manual, the TDI Manual (definitely NOT worth buying), GUE Cave 1 Manual and NACD Cave Manual. As far as I can remember, NONE of those agencies "permit" thirds at the Cavern or Intro level for a diver in doubles. This leads me to wonder about the following statement:

This seems to say the OP was diving doubles at the Intro level and did his dive on thirds. This just doesn't seem right to me.

Now that I've re-read the post, I also wonder about the following
Did you really mean to write "grab on" instead of "OK" the main line? It's my understanding that one should NEVER "grab on" to the main line (or any other).

Or am I just being nitpicky because I'm missing a cat?

Peter,
NAUI permits 1/3's on doubles but I think they are the only ones doing this for the Cave 1 limits.

That's enough for now... Thanks to you guys who recommended TJ.

Glad you had fun Hector!!,

I was the one that got ya hooked up with TJ.
This is Tommy btw. (the one that runs scubatoys forums / cavediver.net / etc etc)
Patrick is coming out here to get his intro-cave done in August.

Great report on your class..

Last edited:
Glad you had fun Hector!!,

I was the one that got ya hooked up with TJ.
This is Tommy btw. (the one that runs scubatoys forums / cavediver.net / etc etc)
Patrick is coming out here to get his intro-cave done in August.

Great report on your class..

Hey Tommy. Patrick and I were just talking about you this past weekend. I worked a class with him and a couple of other instructors. I'll be getting with him tomorrow to do the 450 yard swim for NAUI Dive Master. I'm trying to see if I can get a short pass from the wife to come down in August. I'd like to do some more cave diving.

Patrick's gone crazy putting together a bunch of Tech gear. I think he's hooked!!!

Hey Tommy. Patrick and I were just talking about you this past weekend. I worked a class with him and a couple of other instructors. I'll be getting with him tomorrow to do the 450 yard swim for NAUI Dive Master. I'm trying to see if I can get a short pass from the wife to come down in August. I'd like to do some more cave diving.

Patrick's gone crazy putting together a bunch of Tech gear. I think he's hooked!!!

hahaha,
Yea, I spent about 4 hours on the phone with him Monday night chatting up all his gear choices.
Think we got him in the transpac so he can do doubles, then switch out to SM at a later date.

The plan for August is
21- 27th Patrick / my wife / me are in Key Largo doing 7 days of reef / wreck diving.
Then 28th - 30th he'll be doing his Intro-Cave. 30th we're going to try and get to Buford to do some Swamp Diving + Ginnie, Peacock (if PSP is open).

Did you get you pics from your class?
I'll send ya a link to the pics via PM
DSC09615x.jpg

ps -
nice slap-stap:crafty:

here's some ammo for you to mess with Patrick.
When you see him again, ask him "what the heck" is that on your head" :)

PB032931.JPG

When ya get back out in August, Might just take ya here (Buford)
PB032930.JPG

Just don't step off the unmarked trail :)
PB032952x.jpg

I think my previous post was a little confusing. I agree that someone shouldn't be learning sidemount and how to cave dive at the same time. But if it's a diver that already dives sidemount, I don't see a problem in diving caves for the first time in sidemount.

I agree with you about scooters. I just got my first scooter about a month ago, well past 100 cave dives. And would have waited longer if it weren't for the flow in JB being back up!

I don't dive RBs, but based on what I know, as long as you are experienced and aren't diving beyond the limits of your bailout bottle, I don't see a problem with learning how to cave dive in them.

I do see a problem with carrying a bailout bottle for someone else while you're trying to learn how to cave dive, though. :wink:

What's a scooter? :rofl3:
I have never tried double AL80's but I know people that use them. And as they have pointed out , standard issue down in Mexico.
I use LP Faber 85's myself and I STILL love them. :D

Jean

P.S. I agree on the sidemount comments. I waited until about 100 dives AFTER full cave before trying it. And I'm still trying to work the little kinks out of it.

What's a scooter? :rofl3:
I have never tried double AL80's but I know people that use them. And as they have pointed out , standard issue down in Mexico.
I use LP Faber 85's myself and I STILL love them. :D

Jean

P.S. I agree on the sidemount comments. I waited until about 100 dives AFTER full cave before trying it. And I'm still trying to work the little kinks out of it.

Hey Jean,
Anyone who can swim backwards through the lips with the flow and never touch anything does not need sidemount..:D ... I was going to try that on our last dive, but I did not see anyone else around to help you dislodge my big arse when I got stuck.

Why don't you back it up and tell us why DIR is the only way.
Why would I back up a statement I didn't make? I've yet to meet a GUE trainee who says DIR is more about gear than teamwork. My understanding of the OP's post was that he thought DIR was all about gear, in which case he need to do more research on it.

Peter,
NAUI permits 1/3's on doubles but I think they are the only ones doing this for the Cave 1 limits.

NAUI cave 1 is also much more intensive than NSS-CDS basic cave or NACD intro. If I were to start over, I'd go this route.

Edit- I would seriously consider going this route I mean.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom