Cavern In Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Florida maybe.

In Mexico with an average depth of maybe 20 feet deco would not seem to be much of a consideration.....................

I would assume that agencies are not looking at only 20ft Mexican caves. BTW, Florida is not the only place that has caves deeper than 20'. Besides, basic NDL tables treat any dive shallower than a 40' dive as a 40' dive. You should know this.

Cheers

Because here's what happens...

- Diver takes cavern and maybe intro in a single tank
- Diver reads about diving doubles on Internet
- Diver finds "good deal" on a set of doubles, again on Internet
- Diver begins doing cave dives with doubles
- Diver begins exceeding training limits excessively
- Diver gets away with it for who knows how long...

So let me get this straight... diving doubles leads divers to exceeding their training limits?
Go sell that snake oil elsewhere.

So let me get this straight... diving doubles leads divers to exceeding their training limits?

I have never seen an intro diver in a single tank doing deco or jumps.

Actually, the INTERNET leads divers to exceed their limits. Doubles just compounds the problem. Take that...
eek.gif

I have never seen an intro diver in a single tank doing deco or jumps.

When I was an intro diver I used doubles only, never once did a jump or deco, so that shoots that theory down.

Fact is, those risky folks that dive above their limits will do so regardless of what rules you try to put in place.

Actually, the INTERNET leads divers to exceed their limits. Doubles just compounds the problem. Take that...
eek.gif
Divers were exceeding their limits before the internet.

Again, those that want to break the rules will do so with out the internet or despite some restriction put on them by some cert card.

Actually, the INTERNET leads divers to exceed their limits. Doubles just compounds the problem.
I think alot of this BS boils down to ego. People who have no perspective think that if they are going to be a big, bad Florida cave diver then they need to dive doubles. If I'm coming all the way down there I am going to dive doubles, gosh darnit.

Cave diving has gone Hollywood, instead of being what we do because it's in our backyard.

GDI hit the nail right on the head.

It's really about bottom time and NDL's. A new diver with doubles can find himself in real deco trouble if he's not careful. I believe the 1/6 rule is there to minimize this, not to shorten the length of penetration. (That really sounds dirty doesn't it... :eyebrow:)

Cheers :D

If you are trying to stay within NDLs, then you should be using tables. Trying to estimate deco using tank pressure is not safe at all. Are there actually cave instructors who teach that?

Divers were exceeding their limits before the internet.

Again, those that want to break the rules will do so with out the internet or despite some restriction put on them by some cert card.

I think the biggest reason people dive doubles at intro is because they do not want to be singled out as intro divers at the dive site or in the cave. I think a great deal of the hand-wringing over redundancy is window dressing.

You see a diver in a single tank puffing off an O2 bottle at 20' or swimming up hill 400 you might have a word with them about the importance of diving within training limits. You see the same diver in double tanks you assume they are qualified for whatever dive they are doing. Allowing intro divers to play dress up in my opinion hampers our ability as a cave community to use peer pressure and the threat of discovery to keep people diving within their limits.

I do not have any problem with people diving doubles at the intro level if they are going to be taking an apprentice or full class and want to hone their cave skills in doubles beforehand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom