Cavern In Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did mine with Johnny Richards in High Spring's with no problem. The best thing is to contact the Instr. you are planning to train with and discuss it with them.

I am scheduled to do doubles training at Dive Outpost in late October, but last night my instructor sent me an e-mail asking me if I wanted to do doubles academics and pool next week, and then we will do the dives when we are in Live Oak. So I will be doing doubles and cavern at the end of October.

:confused:What is the big deal about no doubles anyway???

Of course when I started cave diving, it was next to impossable to get double manifolds. I don't think I have been diving with a single for at least 25 years. ALL of my rigs are doubles (or tripples) all the way down to double 35's.

Ron

:confused:What is the big deal about no doubles anyway???

Ron

Doubles allow irresponsible divers to penetrate dangerously far into a cave.Or thats the theory.

Personally I feel that if you have a cave card you should be treated as an adult and allowed to make your own decisions on how much gas to carry.

So I could go in with a single 190 and a garage sale regulator but not my double 35's with redundant Poseidon regulators. Sounds safe to me.:shakehead:

Ron

So I could go in with a single 190 and a garage sale regulator but not my double 35's with redundant Poseidon regulators. Sounds safe to me.:shakehead:

Ron

Actually, I would personally consider a single 190 a safer rig than double 35s. So I guess it depends... :)

Ron

You would need an H or Y valve on the 190.

Perfectly O.K to dive a single cave filled 130 (around 150 cu ft of gas) to 1/3rds but dive double Al 80's (155 cu ft gas) and you are restricted to 1/6ths.

This never made any sense at all to me and was one of my reasons for doing Full Cave

In Florida I have never seen an intro diver in doubles who was not using cave filled steel tanks, so I find all the comparisons between a cave-filled steel single and under-filled tiny doubles a strained argument.

I agree Deadalus. However I feel the extra redundancy should be a requirement even at the intro level. You can get a long way back in a system on 1/6 of doubles. Going further doesn't necessarily make it more dangerous - I believe in the rules of no jumps, tees, etc - but limiting gas is just an attempt to keep people from getting to jumps, tees, etc to keep those not trained from using them.

In short I believe the prudent rule should be Intro - stick to mainline. Full - navigate to level you feel comfortable.

1000 feet back and not responding properly to a problem is just as dead as 2000 feet back.

My wife and I did cavern/Intro in doubles.

Just as a correction, it turned out the class we did (Cavern/Intro) was a TDI class, and TDI does permit both cavern and intro in doubles. Ginnie, however, does not recognize the TDI certification and requires a Discretionary Apprentice waiver to dive doubles there, even though TDI doesn't have such a thing -- AND the form cannot be submitted electronically. Just wanted to put that in here as a head's up to anybody, like us, who may think that getting their cert card in doubles from an agency that permits doubles will automatically mean they can DIVE doubles wherever they go :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom