cavern in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billtylerjr

Registered
Reaction score
I will be in Cozumel in a few weeks and would like to do a cavern course. can anyone recommend who I can contact? is it possible to do the course work somewhere else and do the dives there? like a referral dive?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

billtylerjr:
I will be in Cozumel in a few weeks and would like to do a cavern course. can anyone recommend who I can contact? is it possible to do the course work somewhere else and do the dives there? like a referral dive?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

There are several caverns on Cozumel,with Aerolito being the most popular. My suggestions is search the NSS_CDS or NACD web site for instructors based there. I don't think anybody does a referral for cavern type diving. Personally in any overhead environment I think the instructor is going to want to verify skills taught in class.

Contact Christi on this board.

She'll give you a couple names more than likely. There's a couple gents on the Island that can do it. German Yanez and Diego Cozo are two that I have worked with. I believe Diego still does this type of stuff for Christi. He's a great guy. German is on this board at times as well.

Of course there's lots to choose from on the mainland too.

Aerolito is a nice cave, but the cavern zone leaves something wanting when compared to the mainland caves.

I would expect that all involved would be better served if you just did it front to back with the same instructor. I would if I were you anyway.

Enjoy it man, it's great diving.

I'd check out Yucatek Divers in Playa del Carmen--quick ferry trip from Coz and they can arrange to pick you up from the ferry dock. I think they can arrange for an instructor. We dove with them last July, they were very organized, had quality guides, etc.

Plus the variety of caverns in the area would make for an interesting course.

(Hey, Scuba Steve, I think my wife and I dove with you in Coz January 2001 with Papa Hog's--I don't know why I remember that--maybe it was because we were buddied up when my weight belt slipped off at 50')

No sorry wasn't me. I've never dove with Papa Hogs, not that I have anything against a fellow Canadian from just down the road.....

German's website is http://www.yucatech.net/

Scuba_Steve:
Contact Christi on this board.
I would expect that all involved would be better served if you just did it front to back with the same instructor. I would if I were you anyway.

after giving this some thought, I agree with you guys and will do so. Perhaps I will wait and take some time to do it later.

thanks guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom