cavern/cave diving on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I can tell, most of the agencies use the 200ft rule. At least I know for sure that NACD and NAUI do and I saw some others last night, I just can't remember for sure which ones. As far as the definition, it seems that NAUI did define it by saying:

Diving in the area in an underwater cave that is illuminated in part by natural sunlight and from which an emergency swimming ascent is possible.

I notice you highlighted all sorts of stuff but failed to highlight the part that says illuminated in part by natural sunlight. To me that's pretty clear, it says in part, not direct sunlight or within sight of the exit but IN PART

Check out what these divers had to say. You're right, I don't have a long history of diving, actually it's extremly short. I do however go to people with much more experience than me for guidance and advice. I don't do anything blindly. Now if you are not comfortable with being away from a visual of the exit, don't do it. I see that you say you have completed either Intro or Basic, don't remember which or which agency, that's awsome and I wish you the luck. You wanted to say that me/my instructor should change our definition of "daylight zone", I could say the same to you. I however have been able to back my definition up with at least an excerpt from NACD, since you don't like the wording of NAUI's definition. I have yet to see you post anything that states other wise except for a quote from someone you know on the board, unless I missed it and if I did, I'm sorry. As I said before, I'm sorry we're at an impass.

Daylight zone/natural sunlight

This whole discussion has become ridiculous. Is that really how you plan your dives? Based on what some class you took says you can do?

As opposed to you know.. what your experience/gear/buddy/conditions can support in ADDITION to training.

I don't know about you, but I have little interest in doing a 200' linear ESA. Would you plan on doing a 200' emergency ascent in open water? Didn't think so - and doing it in a cave versus just going straight up is more complicated. E.g. more navigation/stress/swimming involved.

You apparently missed the whole point, it wasn't about what one would do or not do, it was about what the defined limitations were. As far as that goes, how do you know how I plan my dives? Because I know what the limitations/guidelines/rules are for my level of train, that means that I don't plan my dives or dive in a safe manner?
It seems to me that you have just made this discussion even more ridiculous by turning it into a finger pointing about who dives safer.

My apologies for the second most ridiculous hijack; I have been searching/asking here on SB for years, wondering about the different agencies definitions of Cavern/Cave. I posted the thread linked below over 2 years ago.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba.../231902-cavern-diving-definitions-agency.html

My first instructor/guide work was with Deep Ecology. My Cavern & Intro to Cave courses were less than a year old when I started guiding and Instructing OW in Shark's Cove. I had no overhead trained buddies and I was leading by example, so I never went beyond sight of the exit, even when I wasn't working.

From there I moved to South Maui, where 5 Caves is one of the most popular dives. Now I guide Lanai trips. After 8 years of taking tourists through caverns I have decided I should at least know the definitions of cavern. :idk:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom