Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver gadget

Contributor
Reaction score
So there are three of us (Lurch, Wetvet and Myself) that are travelling to Florida tomorrow to take a cave course in High Springs. Very excited about the whole idea.

My question is, is there many people from the Ontario area that have gone through and taken any cave courses? I know there are a few out there. Is there any caves up here that you can practise in? I have heard of a few in the toby area (no, not the groto). Or do you just have to keep going down to places like Florida or Mexico (or Darn)

I know there are lots of skills that you can work on in open water but just not the same as a cave.

I don't know anything about canada or caves, but I know there a lot of canadian cave divers. I have bunked with a room full of them form time to time while staying at the dive outpost. You will like the caves, become addicted, and end up moving to florida, so be careful. lol

Who are you doing your class with?

Doing the classes with Larry Green. He got recomended by a few people up here as well as when the question was posted in the cave section of scuba board. He seems like a nice guy through the conversations we have had so far.

There are some caves in Quebec, 31 mile lake. VERY cold water, most of the caves are deep.

There are some abandond mines in that area too which are divable.

The St Lawrence has a large number of "caverns" in places. Hard to mark, hard to find.. and the current, vis, flow and silt make them nasty holes for the most part.

The Canadain shield is riddled with unstable sumps, which are basicaly undiveable.

Net result, you'll be moveing to FL...

when you planning to do your tech 1? You can PM me to keep this on topic.

Took a cave course in 94, Ginny springs found it interesting as a learning process.......... But very very boring dives!!

Go in the hole...See the rocks.... Go around the corner....See more rocks....... Gee look at those rocks...... Kinda small hole to squeeze through....... Got my big belly stuck..... "POP"...Cool!! more rocks in here...... $hit I got my leg tangled in that line....... Did I already see that rock.......No that's a different rock, neat!! Damm reel......Damm reel!!! $hit I'm all tangled up.....Damm reel...... Hey that rock looks more brown than that other one.....Stupid Stupid cheap reel..... Good vis....Damm flashlight......Ouch!!! Damm rock......Spend next 3 hours on surface untangling reels. Isn't caving fun???

divedude once bubbled...
Go in the hole...See the rocks.... Go around the corner....See more rocks....... Gee look at those rocks...... Kinda small hole to squeeze through....... Got my big belly stuck..... "POP"...Cool!! more rocks in here...... $hit I got my leg tangled in that line....... Did I already see that rock.......No that's a different rock, neat!! Damm reel......Damm reel!!! $hit I'm all tangled up.....Damm reel...... Hey that rock looks more brown than that other one.....Stupid Stupid cheap reel..... Good vis....Damm flashlight......Ouch!!! Damm rock......Spend next 3 hours on surface untangling reels. Isn't caving fun???
And I've already had one person try to convince me that caving is a specialty to aspire to.............

I dunno, from your description it sure sounds intersting...........

Betcha if it got boring, you could rotate so you're swimming while staring "upwards" and try navigating the cave that way... (snicker)

FreeFloat once bubbled...

And I've already had one person try to convince me that caving is a specialty to aspire to.............

I dunno, from your description it sure sounds intersting...........

Betcha if it got boring, you could rotate so you're swimming while staring "upwards" and try navigating the cave that way... (snicker)

There are some tried and true ways to spice up your cave diving:
1: Wind up the line as you go in.
2: Use exactly half your air supply before the turn
3: Don't charge your batteries
4: Kick up lotsa silt

That's a good start on making cave diving exciting. The unfortunate part is that you probably won't get to enjoy the fun for too long. 8)

John F

FreeFloat once bubbled...

I'm sorry, someone told you cave diving should be one of you diving goals? Can you elaborate?

Back
Top Bottom