Cave Diving Guide to getting trained

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks!!! As for tanks what would you all recommend? Im diving single Lux 100's and someone said that they had a throw weight of 10 pounds or something. Im thinking of getting a double set of Steel 100's or 130's you think thats smart or stick with the alum 100's I got?

Not true, they have a swing of ~7#'s, same as steel 100's. 100cf of gas weighs the same no matter what tank it is in. Now, what is not so good about them is that when they are empty they are 3#'s positive in the water when empty and they are 8" tanks. Steel 100's are 1.5#'s negative in the water when empty and they are 7.25" tanks. So, the only real disadvantage of the AL100's is that you will need to wear a weight belt when diving them, but at the point you are at right now you should probably just double up your AL100's and put the money you save towards a nice can light or some other piece of gear.

Why? There are no wonderlands.

Really? Then why do I spend so much time, energy and money swimming into holes in the ground? :D

I think DA has a good point if he hooks me up with several different type setups ill be able to make the best choice on what I need to buy as far as tanks. The alum 100's I have now arent really the best in comfert but really I cant tell to much between 80 or 100's other than bottom time. On one occasion I even out dove my roommate with a 80 when he had a steel 100. Overall after getting wet a few times with different set ups I should be able to make a little better choice with what I should get.

Not much posting past few days you all still alive out there????

Good luck with your training Last Mate, I have enjoyed it thus far and there is still much on the road ahead of me. Remember something, every-time you cave dive, it could be your last --- dive safely and never become too bold and complacent. The most fallible piece of equipment a cave diver has is his(her) mind, rushing through training would be like rushing through a semester long class in a month and a half --- you may pass the test, but you do not retain the information. Again good luck and wish you safe dives ahead of you. It looks as if your attitude has changed radically and I hope it stays that way.

-Tony DC

LastMate,

Please, please, please slow down. There are some very seasoned and "positioned" posters to this thread that are thinking, albeit off the cuff, that you are a future statistic yet to happen.

Please heed.

I don't see a problem with doubling up your AL100s for a good starter set. You will be able to buy a pair of HP130s and use the same bands and manifold. AL80s make pretty good starter doubles, especially in wetsuit situations. I would assume AL100s have similar buoyancy.

Tom

I don't see a problem with doubling up your AL100s for a good starter set. You will be able to buy a pair of HP130s and use the same bands and manifold. AL80s make pretty good starter doubles, especially in wetsuit situations. I would assume AL100s have similar buoyancy.

Tom

The HP130's is what I was thinking about cuz worse case if I hate them I can always dive OW singles with them. But Im gonna do a few test dives with DA before doing anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom