Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, for all we know, she DID reserve a large amount of gas to come back, and it just wasn't enough. When you get to the point where you are challenging that kind of cave, there probably aren't any rules that work, and like Evel Knievel, if you miscalculate, you will suffer for it.

I'm sorry about her death, but in a way, glad to hear that it was simply as a result of the risks she knowingly took to do the kind of diving she was doing.

I have to say that that this unfortunate event saddens me greatly. I knew who she was before I heard about her death. I had viewed her (and others) videos and pictures and was inspired to one day become a cave diver. When I first read about her death I really wanted to be able to blame it on a piece of gear because I didn't want to imagine her (a world class cave diver) being caught in a situation that she couldn't get out of.
So I guess the thing to do is to learn from this and take that lesson with me throughout the training/diving that I pursue in the future... and never forget it. Maybe some day it will save my life or the life of my dive partner.

Hmm, I'd have thought you you could read the forum (or at least parts of it) w/o registering. Maybe it's cuz it's linked to a particular post. Dunno.

Ya'll are welcome over at the CDF, ya hear!

Is it okay to copy the content here?

I've read the thread on CDF, I didn't see anything that I would describe as a 'team report' maybe I missed it

Is it okay to copy the content here?

I've read the thread on CDF, I didn't see anything that I would describe as a 'team report' maybe I missed it

Post #63. It is not long.

Post #63. It is not long.

He obviously doesn't understand the word WE, or saw Kens first post that stated they would put one together.

Thanks BJ

Like I said, maybe I missed it - sorry

I do think if you want you can copy and paste the report. Its been done before so I dont think there is any rules about it.

It's short as previously mentioned:

"Hi All,

I was one of the divers who assisted with the recovery of Agnes from Tank Cave. We have discussed what we should say and have written the following. This is a very sad time for us all as you can imagine.

Ken

On Sunday 27th Feb, Ag was exploring in Tank Cave, using sidemounted steel tanks. She tied off to the existing cave line and reeled out.

Ag unclipped one tank to pass through a series of restrictions. At some point she made the decision to leave this tank to make further progress. Ag continued to explore before turning to come home. Coming back in silty conditions, she was unable to navigate a restriction. She ran out of air before she could return to her tank.

Her body was brought to the surface by cave divers on Wednesday 2nd March, co-ordinated and supported by the South Australian Police and with help from the State Emergency Service (who are volunteers). A full investigation is being undertaken by the Coroner.

Ag was an inspirational diver who accomplished many impressive feats in a short space of time. She will be sorely missed by her Mum, Dad and many friends and buddie"

-as posted by Ken Smith on CDF

I have a question based on the above

What was her orientation when she was found?

:huh: Help a non-cave person out . . . what do you mean by orientation?

Although I suspect such questions cannot be answered until the coroner is through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom