Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Her writing is so descriptive and shows such emotion and passion, as does her photography and videos! I would have loved to know her.

I never knew the victim and from what everyone has to say, it sounds like that is my loss. Her web site is a testament to her contribution to the sport.

What can we learn from this?

It is too early to say what sequence of events lead to this tragedy. In fact, we may never know. However, one realization that has hit like a sledgehammer is that no matter how good you are and how experienced you are, s*&t happens. If it happens while I am near the edge of my skill / experience level, my kid could grow up without a father.

That is a downer for me in a big way.

I am basing my comments on this link Retrieval of cave diver's body could take up to five days

The body of the accomplished and world-recognised diver was found trapped about 600 metres from the entrance of the subterranean cave system.
South Australia police divers, along with members of the Cave Divers Association of Australia, entered the area yesterday and mapped a route to retrieve her body, which is trapped in a very small area.
Police have warned the retrieval could be prolonged.
‘‘The dives [yesterday] in the intricate cave system have been to assess the difficulties and safety issues involved in the retrieval attempt. The woman’s body is trapped in a very small area,’’ South Australia police said.
‘The retrieval attempt will be an extremely complex operation and may take as long as five days.’’

Your accidental one-line paste has certainly generated some good discussion, Petunia.

Thank goodness it may go sooner but we need to keep those Divers in our thoughts! They know better than the Police how to do the recovery. This is a terrible thing for them to have to bring out one of their own like this.... The deserve cudos and support for not just the recovery but also THEIR recovery!:(

Reactions: Jax
Divers "widening" passages; recovery Wed or Thu

"Cave divers are widening underwater channels so they can begin the slow process of retrieving the body of a woman who died in South Australia's Tank Cave"

Divers to retrieve woman's body from cave

Thought and prayers going out for the recovery divers this is a very difficult thing to do on so many levels for them!
It is wise to let accomplished cave divers attempt this, if not properly prepared and familiar with the system it could only lead to more fatalities.
In a news report this morning, " take with a grain of salt" it was stated that she was not stuck or wedged but had lost her way and ran out of gas.
Again this comes from news media report of a fellow diver who had visited the scene.
I hope that the team is able to recover her soon and safe for all.

Very tough time for her loved ones, please know that we all are praying for you!

CamG

In a news report this morning, " take with a grain of salt" it was stated that she was not stuck or wedged but had lost her way and ran out of gas

Here is a supporting link: Victorian cave diver Agnes Milowka's body found in Tank Cave, Mount Gambier | Herald Sun

This one has additional quotes from Dr. Harris: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/diver-calm-to-end-as-death-closed-in/story-e6frea6u-1226014425443

Here's a map that indicates the area she got lost in: http://resources.news.com.au/files/2011/02/28/1226013/744198-herald-sun-pdf-cave-diver.pdf

I should mention that this particular newspaper (source of the first and last links above) is one that is prone to sensational headlines although they appear to be maintaining some decorum so far

In a news report this morning, " take with a grain of salt" it was stated that she was not stuck or wedged but had lost her way and ran out of gas.
Again this comes from news media report of a fellow diver who had visited the scene.
I hope that the team is able to recover her soon and safe for all.

Obviously, it is a given that she ran out of air, but it's hard to believe she simply lost her way.. I'd think if it was that simple, recovering her body wouldn't be nearly as challenging. Like you said, people should take anything the "media" says with a grain of salt for the time being.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom