Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recovery delayed; body "trapped"

"Her body - trapped about 600 metres from the entrance of the subterranean cave system - has since been found, but retrieval remains hazardous and may take as long as five days, SA police said yesterday"

Trapped cave diver died doing what she loved most

This past end of Jan. while diving with some friends at Ginnie Spring, we were approached by a diver looking for someone to join so that he didn't have to dive alone.
He turned out to be from Australia and during the conversation he had asked if we had heard of Agnes. Of course, was the answer! She has been posting some amazing video accounts of her dives and sharing this with everyone that was interested.
I have watched countless video footage from Agnes and I'm always amazed at the quality of the video.
I will definitly miss her adventures and the video diary of the places that she has shared with so many.
My condolances to her family and friends. Sad, very sad.

Some people asked whether she was diving with a buddy. I read somewhere where she said that on occasion, her buddy was too large to enter a section of cave, but she was able to go thru herself.

In Agnes' own words (in a radio interview)

Dariusz Buchowiecki: Do you go diving by yourself or do you have to be in a buddy pair?

Agnes Milowka: When you first learn how to dive it is drilled into you that you must dive in a buddy pair. But when you get to the point when you are exploring caves that second person is the biggest liability and the most likely thing to kill you. You don't know what they're thinking, or feeling or what they are going to do and you are in a dangerous and hostile environment.

Sometimes the cave is small and tight and it's hard enough for one person to be in there squeezing through a little hole, let alone having someone else behind you trying
to push through as well. Sometime inside a cave you can't see anything and there is zero visibility because of the silt. In that situation it is easier to be alone because you know where you are, what you are doing and where to go next. Diving solo saves you from having to worry about not just yourself but also another person.

My personal preference is to dive solo, especially in caves.

Later in the same interview:

Dariusz Buchowiecki: Thank you for joining us and sharing with us details of this beautiful underwater world.
I have one more question before you go. Recently a very famous diver, and one you knew personally passed away. How did you take it and are you now scared of diving?

Agnes Milowka: I am not scared of diving. Anyone at any point can pass away. So you have to live your life as if tomorrow could be your last day. I love diving, I am passionate about it and I don't think anything will stop me from doing it. Unfortunately there are risks; in every extreme sport there are dangers. It doesn't always work out but you do everything possible to not only do that one dive, but to keep on diving over many years. That's what it's all about after all, longevity. You have to dive safely but live as if everyday is going to be your last.

Dariusz Buchowiecki: You're very brave. Thanks you very much for joining us

Brave indeed.

What can we learn from this?

Explorers and those who push the envelope driven by indomitable will enrich our world with their efforts. Who are we to question their choices. Unfortunately the gifts they give us with their inspiring personalities and drive often come at great cost!

Many people were inspired and dived vicariously with *ag* now we share her loss with her loved ones. Her body of work will live on and continue to inspire.

What can we learn from this? Even the best can get themselves into places they can not get out of. Obviously the information that is coming out indicates that this time she got herself into a "tight bit" that she couldn't get out of. It also seems to me that even if her buddy had been there.. she probably would not have survived.. if it is expected to take a week with qualified divers to free her remains!

Her choice to separate and to explore were hers to make. It seems to me she made that choice with full knowledge and we need to respect that. For other divers we need to consider the cost of her choice to not just *ag* but her loved ones then we need to make our own choices ....

Last edited:

In Agnes' own words (in a radio interview)

Agnes Milowka: I am not scared of diving. Anyone at any point can pass away. So you have to live your life as if tomorrow could be your last day. I love diving, I am passionate about it and I don't think anything will stop me from doing it. Unfortunately there are risks; in every extreme sport there are dangers. It doesn't always work out but you do everything possible to not only do that one dive, but to keep on diving over many years. That's what it's all about after all, longevity. You have to dive safely but live as if everyday is going to be your last.

Ahem...

I have seen the videos of Agnes shimmying through tight little restrictions that most could not get through and I for one have learned that I have no interest in doing that. I respect her achievements and the nature of cave exploration, but it looked to me like she could be hopelessly stuck or her hoses or other equipment ruptured a few times in her videos. It takes a special kind of fearlessness and acceptance of risk to live to do what she did. May she rest in peace and all those who are involved in her recovery be safe...

Sorry typed up a post copied it to spell check then when I posted only the one sentence was posted so I had to retype.:(

I think it's probably a little early to learn anything yet. From my current understanding they still haven't retrieved Ag out yet so we can probably assume that she went into a tight spot and got caught, but it is an assumption at present.

Until we know all the facts from the coroner (such as did she have air remaining, were there any medical issues involved, was there equipment damaged, etc) we can only guess - and if the last incident in South Australia is anything to go by (nearly 12 months ago and still no coroners report) - we could be waiting quite some time for answers.

It is very sad what has happened. Agnes was a very admirable young lady who loved her diving and will be sadly missed. She has mentioned close calls in the past through various articles and interviews.

From this, I have my own assumptions on what has probably happened too, but in the end it's really only a best guess at present.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom