Cave Certs Expiration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I say we go ahead and stick to the conservative training curriculum, it gives new divers the time to figure stuff like this out while they are closer to the entrance....

:wink:
The OP was concerned about expiring cards. But CDS cards no longer expire. Not sure NASE or IANTD expirations were ever addressed. GUE cards don't expire the same way, since you can renew at the Cave1 level indefinitely.

Just so I'm clear... we have people arguing that if they have two boxes of 15 cookies, and they eat 1/3 of each box... then one of the boxes falls off the table into the dirt... they think they have 20 cookies left?

Lol

That said, my feelings on the issue may stem from the fact that I refuse to go too far, too fast because I want to feel 100% comfortable at the level I'm at before I progress any further.

Exactly what I'm doing with Cave1 , very happy with 2 nav decisions seeing how I've only done 1 nav decisions on any of my dives... I was cavern for 2+ years before taking Cave1.... and now having moved away from Cave Country will prob be Cave1 for 5+ years before I make the next move... do plan on an adv nitrox/deco class sooner than that just to be ready when I do want to make the next step.

@Imbodie you have 2/3 of the gas of that particular cylinder available, but only 1/3 of your actual gas volume that you started the dive with when in sidemount

No one was pointing that out so I was just letting it ride....

Just so I'm clear... we have people arguing that if they have two boxes of 15 cookies, and they eat 1/3 of each box... then one of the boxes falls off the table into the dirt... they think they have 20 cookies left?
10 second rule?

I'm way done here, tbone figured you out pages ago.

Not sure who your NAUI cave instructor was but they should be embarrassed since you don't even understand your own sidemount cylinders, nevermind a buddy's doubles manifold.

And I guess your course never had more than 1 failure at a time.

:) All I am responsible for is knowing my own equipment... personally I consider any cave dive a solo dive... and most open water dives as solo dives... Pretty sure @tbone1004 wasn't frustrated with me. Although I was letting slide the whole SM gas issue.. because at any point there is a catastrophic failure in side mount EXCEPT at the terminal 1/3 turn point I should always have enough gas to exit a cave on either of my two cylinders... the worst place would be AT the turn... past that my potential air supply just goes back up the closer I get to the exit.

Again... none of this relates to standardizing the standards...

Exactly what I'm doing with Cave1 , very happy with 2 nav decisions seeing how I've only done 1 nav decisions on any of my dives... I was cavern for 2+ years before taking Cave1.... and now having moved away from Cave Country will prob be Cave1 for 5+ years before I make the next move... do plan on an adv nitrox/deco class sooner than that just to be ready when I do want to make the next step.

I'm only about two hours from most any site in cave country. Couple that with the fact that it's probably a 4-5 hour drive to any decent offshore diving and it's easy to see why I've never done it. Not sure how much I'll use the adv. nitrox / deco class in freshwater, but at least it gives me the opportunity to go somewhere like Blue Grotto and get practice doing decompression dives before I have to do it in an overhead environment.

IT works that way in dry caving.... you would never catch me eating cookies underwater in a cave.... leaving a few maybe... but never eating.

ALL I'm saying is make a training standard STANDARD for everyone...

At one time it was. It was 1/3rds for everyone, and that was when intro was on a single tank, so yes we had gas standardization. So what has happened in cave diving over last couple of decades? It first started out as addressing an argument and then became marketing and attracting customers aka students. The intro diver in a single tank has a had great track record of no accidents ( the irony is an intro diver with doubles has the worst track record),but people argued that #1 wasn't enough redundancy and needed more gas #2 needed to be able to practice with doubles to advance to full cave. Items #2 had more interest with the people that made the rules and item #1 was argued by the people who didn't want to stand out as an intro diver with a single tank (when as mentioned intro divers on a single tank had 1000s of hours of bottom time with no problems-but I digress). One agency offered doubles for the intro diver but with a 1/6 limit, and students rushed to this agency and instructors, and then the other agency with instructors complained because they lost students, so the domino effect occurred with marketing forces at play. So we see that same thing occurring now with an agency offering more with less restriction, and this attracts students. Some say this is the dumbing down of cave diving and one reason we have poorly skilled cave divers. I don't share this opinion,but am repeating a common thread.

Is 1/3rd safe? Actually the person we attribute to the creation of 1/3rds would comment it was highly liberal, and in an OOA scenario near maximum penetration it, we would have two fatalities. Should an intro diver be using 1/3rd of their double equivalent of gas? It has been said that cave diving is 10% physical/skills, and 90% mental; and the further away from the exit, the more opportunities for Murphy to become an issue. A best paradigm for cave diving is progressive penetration at a slow pace with the gathering of learning and experience which allows for unforced progression. After 1500+ cave divers I really believe in this, matter of fact in a new system I become the intro diver and dive to 1/6s, and then build on learning,because you must always remember- line doesn't guarantee an exit, just increases your probability of survival.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom