Cave CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how challenging is cave buoyancy with a CCR? As someone who has never used a CCR it seems that you would have to learn buoyancy all over again and the precision buoyancy that cave diving requires may take quite a long time to acquire.

Challenging. Depends on the level of perfection you're wanting and how able a learner you are.

Here's mine, not a rebreather or cave instructor and fairly new to both still:

My first half hour on a rebreather was a disaster of on the bottom or the surface in a few feet of water. Manual rebreather, no needle valve. (Adding gas or venting around the mouthpiece as needed) Being in a drysuit didn't help the task loading.

Settled down about 40 minutes into it and could stay at the depth I wanted and started to get the concept of minimum loop volume. Finning up or down when getting it wrong.

The next few hours it was challenging to navigate up over and down an obstacle and that took full focus for those moments but maintaining a fixed depth became routine and I began photography. Photographing over fragile muck had my mistakes result in dramatic silt outs and ruined shots so my motivation was high.

Next dozen hours I got to where I was roughly in the right balence and light finning fixed the slight errors 95% of the time. Spent long sessions intentionally saw tooth profiling in ~20ft of water up and down obstacles.

After maybe 40hrs it became easier and I could be where I wanted to be and photography became a pleasure. Freshwater fish are friendly to CCR.

A few hundred hours in it's somewhat second nature to vent appropriately
but I sometimes on a descent I underestimate now much gas to add to stop gracefully without splashing down onto a finger tip. Few times per dive still.

Seeing rebreather divers smashing, flapping and bouncing their way through tourist caves I suspect buoyancy skills that are "good enough" are good enough for many rebreather divers for the caves.

Cameron

without splashing down onto a finger tip. Few times per dive still.

I sometimes despair of ever being rid of the "One-finger Pogo". Thought I had it down then I dived with my new DS undergarments the other day, boy do they need more gas.

I sometimes despair of ever being rid of the "One-finger Pogo". Thought I had it down then I dived with my new DS undergarments the other day, boy do they need more gas.

Ah, let's hope the unwashed masses don't stumble into SB, end up on this thread and try it make sense of that post! :D Sounds horribly uncomfortable and perhaps rather inappropriate at best.

I can't imagine diving Manatee on OC with a Tekna lol
Other divers have told me its a pita on CCR because of the sawtoothing but I didn't feel that way. Maybe its a function of differences in how we run our dil and Adv and how close we are to min loop volume + willingness to vent and add.

Keep in mind, some of us use the distance from Friedman when we talk about distances in Manatee (I'm one of them), others use distance from Catfish, which adds 2000' to the number.

When I was a young dumbshit, one of my regular dives was to hop on my Mako (Tekna DV100) and ride back 5000' (from Friedmans). Invariably it would die on the exit and I usually had to kick out the last 1500' to 2000'.

In 1998, my friend Derek Hagler and I did a 9k (from Friedmans) there. We both used a Gavin (33ah) and a Mako for our DPV's on the dive and we did it on a quad stage, reserving tons of backgas. We each had two stages in the cave before the dive, swapping out at each of the two stage drops.

Really, the biggest challenge on the dive was primary lights. Remember, this was the day of lead acid battery packs and 50w halogen bulbs. A GREAT battery pack was only good for 180 minutes, and the bulbs were so fragile that if you flipped on a fully charged pack you had a risk of blowing a bulb. We cracked this particular nut by staging lights, using a lantern grip Underwater Kinetics 800R (I think it was 30w halogen), during the middle portion of the dive. So we went in on our primary lights then about 40 minutes into the dive, when we dropped the second stage, we switched to the 800R's -- using about 20% of our primary light at the start of the dive helped minimize the risk of blowing the bulb when we fired it back on. On the way out, we switched to the 800R's for the middle portion again, so we wouldn't be fumbling with the lantern grip while trying to manage four stage bottles.

Entry and exit was from Friedman. If you've been in there, you know that's not a fun place to pop through with 2 stage bottles and 2 scooters, let alone come out with 4 stage bottles and 2 scooters. Thankfully we had some great help that met us and took all of our empties and dead scooters..

In terms of modern times, well this weekend one of my buddies and I had originally planned to do a 12k run (from Friedmans) tomorrow, but putting in at Catfish so it would be a 14k, but it looks like we're doing something else in another part of the cave instead. Our gear plan to do that dive involved two modern scooters (an XK1 and Valkyrie for each diver), a modern light (LED Light Monkey w/20AH pack, good for about 12 hours), a CCR and about 400 cubic feet of bailout each.

CCR sawtoothing at manatee can be real, especially past Friedmans. The first 1500 to the pillar room has a ton of depth variability from 100' to 30', over and over and over again. If I'm on an eccr I drop the setpoint to 0.5 for that stretch and manually keep it in the 1.2 range at the deep portions, that helps minimize the solenoid going batshit crazy.

So how challenging is cave buoyancy with a CCR? As someone who has never used a CCR it seems that you would have to learn buoyancy all over again and the precision buoyancy that cave diving requires may take quite a long time to acquire.

Buoyancy is different, but it's not really "that bad". The big challenge was the ability to ascend/descend, it's just different -- on OC you can initiate an ascent by simply inhaling deeper, or descent by exhaling. On CCR you need to either adjust via wing, counterlung volume, or tilt your body. I described it as feeling like I was trying to run on ice but that I wasn't moving, however once you get the hang of it it can quickly become second nature.

To add to what Ken said, you need to be proactive instead of reactive. If you see an elevation change in the cave, trending upward, you know you're about to get more buoyant. Start venting something. If it's trending downward, start adding somewhere.

One of the things I like about the Liberty is that the counter lungs are HUGE. So it's easy to vent lung volume through my mouth or add lung volume via MAV and not have to touch anything else to maintain proper buoyancy. Of course this doesn't work at Manatee where the cave is 88' and ten feet later 27'.

Slight hijack .. since we have several very knowledgeable people already in this thread (Cave/CCR/CaveCCR)....

I've just done my CCR training (IANTD), again, the words 'Never say never' always seem to keep on ringing true ...

I've got Intro to Cave, a nice Sidekick CCR, and well, we poked into the caverns on a few of the training dives, and just like my cavern course, I liked it. (mainly just to see where the gold lines start as I hadn't been in these systems yet that we were doing the training dives in the springs)

So I'm thinking, kinda like when I did my tech training, I didn't do it for the depth (although that is handy), I did it for the tools to stay longer in the shallower dives that I was doing (30m with O2) .. also hence why I haven't done my hypoxic trimix ... I don't have a giant need to go that deep (yet).

I get pretty darn far on 1/6ths in the caves (unless its Ginny, I seem to get my ass kicked there ... still figuring it out ... a dive year at a time). But say Madison, I get to half hitch well under 1/6ths, same with Peanut at Peacock.

So for me, it isn't about doing a 14K run, although, I wouldn't doubt many years and dives down in the future that could be the case... As well, there are a few caves here where everyone has been eyeing up my Sidekick for some side tunnels that they haven't been able to fit into (yet)...

Thoughts on going forward once I get a bunch of hours under my belt?

_R

As a very new CCR, I've just been running minimal loop, but have just an extra bit emptier (i.e., super breath in will hit the ADV)...

That gives me a little momentum to start moving up, and then start dumping from somewhere (usually the loop, unless it's going to be a big change in ATA). For faster changes, I've been adding a very small puff into the drysuit, else just kick up slightly.

Once you figure out the mechanics of it, it gets pretty simple ... just depends on how much change you need to achieve.

I did a few "RB demo/try dives" in the past, you can figure it out pretty quickly, as long as you remember, pretty much anything you do with 99% of your breathing isn't going to change anything with buoyancy. If you're dropping, you need to change something (add gas somewhere) quickly, same with ascending (when you don't want to be of course). So once I started my CCR course, there were a few gentle pogo's on the pinky off of a rock or branch.

The difference from switching out from CCR to OC and back again buoyancy wise didn't really change much either.

_R

Slight hijack .. since we have several very knowledgeable people already in this thread (Cave/CCR/CaveCCR)....

I've just done my CCR training (IANTD), again, the words 'Never say never' always seem to keep on ringing true ...

I've got Intro to Cave, a nice Sidekick CCR, and well, we poked into the caverns on a few of the training dives, and just like my cavern course, I liked it. (mainly just to see where the gold lines start as I hadn't been in these systems yet that we were doing the training dives in the springs)

So I'm thinking, kinda like when I did my tech training, I didn't do it for the depth (although that is handy), I did it for the tools to stay longer in the shallower dives that I was doing (30m with O2) .. also hence why I haven't done my hypoxic trimix ... I don't have a giant need to go that deep (yet).

I get pretty darn far on 1/6ths in the caves (unless its Ginny, I seem to get my ass kicked there ... still figuring it out ... a dive year at a time). But say Madison, I get to half hitch well under 1/6ths, same with Peanut at Peacock.

So for me, it isn't about doing a 14K run, although, I wouldn't doubt many years and dives down in the future that could be the case... As well, there are a few caves here where everyone has been eyeing up my Sidekick for some side tunnels that they haven't been able to fit into (yet)...

Thoughts on going forward once I get a bunch of hours under my belt?

_R

It's not about the 14k dive. I use a rebreather in 30' of open water. It's just a more pleasant dive. It's quiet, peaceful, fish like you. It's just different. Then, add in the value at the cave level and it's a whole different world. Never having to look at a pressure gauge. Have HOURS to resolve any issue. Lost a buddy? 6 hours to find him. Got lost? 6 hours to find your way. Got tangled? 6 hours to get untangled (or wait for rescue...good luck on that).

I remember one of my very first CCR cave dives. There were literally 13 teams exiting at Ginnie eye in front of me. I waited for 20 minutes as they all passed me before I could start my dive. I just sat and waited at 50'ish feet as they all came in. I was trying to build hours, so the clock didn't matter at all. But imagine if I was OC Intro to Cave, and I'm using pressure gas, every minute shortening my penetration.

It's freedom.

As you get more time, you might deactivate that ADV. I haven't had one for quite some time. I'm certified on half a dozen rebreathers. As far as I can tell, the Optima is the only ADV that really works well. I can scooter straight down at Eagle's nest to 200' and at the bottom my gas volume and ppo2 is spot on.

No other rebreather I've dove will do that. So, I just turn them off.

Back
Top Bottom