DIR- GUE Cave 1 recommendation in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m sure theyre good. My issue is with zg. I feel like the quality of service at the shop has been slowly going down hill. It used to be an enjoyable place to visit or hang out at. Now its kind of cold, sterile, and doesnt give me or my wife that watm fuzzy feeling it used to.
Obviously that doesnt have an effect on the quality of instruction
Well, then it's a good thing some of us newer cave divers weren't around back in the time you're recalling, so we have nothing to compare it with. I have spent a couple of weeks doing guided diving with the ZG people, and the vibe felt welcoming enough to my wife and me. "Warm and fuzzy" seems like a lot to ask of a dive shop. Is the vibe all warm and fuzzy at Extreme Exposure? Maybe they, too, were more fun back in the day. I don't know.

Anyway, we didn't dive with Chris, but on both trips we noted that Chris took the time to ask us how our week was going and was generally visible around the shop chatting with other divers when he wasn't teaching a class. How we perceived him interacting with divers was part of what prompted us to "interview" him for our C2 instruction.

I mentioned to BlueTrin in a DM that they may offer a package that includes accommodations along with instruction. The on-site accommodations at ZG were spartan but comfortable enough for my wife and me. I believe Laszlo and Emoke also have an arrangement with accommodations in Puerto Aventuras. If BlueTrin chooses to do the course out of Tulum instead of PA, then he's spoiled for choice of accommodations.

Well, then it's a good thing some of us newer cave divers weren't around back in the time you're recalling, so we have nothing to compare it with. I have spent a couple of weeks doing guided diving with the ZG people, and the vibe felt welcoming enough to my wife and me. "Warm and fuzzy" seems like a lot to ask of a dive shop. Is the vibe all warm and fuzzy at Extreme Exposure? Maybe they, too, were more fun back in the day. I don't know.

Anyway, we didn't dive with Chris, but on both trips we noted that Chris took the time to ask us how our week was going and was generally visible around the shop chatting with other divers when he wasn't teaching a class. How we perceived him interacting with divers was part of what prompted us to "interview" him for our C2 instruction.

I mentioned to BlueTrin in a DM that they may offer a package that includes accommodations along with instruction. The on-site accommodations at ZG were spartan but comfortable enough for my wife and me. I believe Laszlo and Emoke also have an arrangement with accommodations in Puerto Aventuras. If BlueTrin chooses to do the course out of Tulum instead of PA, then he's spoiled for choice of accommodations.
Warm and fuzzy was just a colloquialism. Even up to a couple of years ago you could go to ZG and there were always other divers there, the staff were warm and accomodating and ready to talk and say hello, and it was an enjoyable experience. Over the past few years you go in there and there's barely anyone there other than 1 employee behind the counter. You get a brief hello and then you're mostly ignored (which is fine since I don't want to be hounded). If you have any questions for the staff, it's hit or miss if you'll get an answer. It has a very sterile feel now. The instructors that work out of ZG are excellent instructors and the ZG experience shouldn't take away from that.
I'm just pointing out ZG used to be the only place in MX for GUE divers and was a great experience. That experience isn't nearly as good as it once was, and now there are other options in MX that many GUE divers are moving to due to similar dissatisfaction with ZG.
As for EE, I know everyone there pretty well, so I always have an enjoyable time when I'm there. It can't be really compared with ZG since EE is my home shop.

I'm just pointing out ZG used to be the only place in MX for GUE divers and was a great experience. That experience isn't nearly as good as it once was, and now there are other options in MX that many GUE divers are moving to due to similar dissatisfaction with ZG.
Interesting. I guess I won't understand what a GUE dive op atmosphere COULD be like until I try some alternatives. Yes, there are others in the region now. It's great to have options! See you down there someday (if we haven't unknowingly met already).

I suspect you can't really go wrong with any GUE C1 instructor. Just make sure you know them a little to make sure there are no huge incompatibilities in terms of personalities.

I took C1 from Fred many moons ago. Very nice guy. If you are taking a class, most of your meaningful interactions with ZG will be with Fred anyway. I met and took a group workshop with Chris and Danny back in the day also. I don't think Danny teaches with ZG anymore but I wouldn't think twice about taking a class from Chris either. I don't know the other folks. When I took C1, ZG was the only GUE game in town.

Final thought - if you progress to C2 (likely), might be good to look at Florida also. Diving in strong flow is a very different experience than what you get in Mexico.

I was thinking of maybe going to Mexico and do Cave 1. Does anyone have recent experience of having done this class in Mexico and/or has a recommendation?

Hard to go wrong with any of the C1 instructors in Mexico, just make sure to have a chat with a few to make sure personalities match. Your biggest decision should be where you want to stay, Tulum, Puerto Aventuras, or Playa del Carmen. There are advantages to each, but my recommendation is to stay in Tulum. More options for accommodations and dining, no need to rent a car, and days are often shorter because we generally only have a 5 minute drive to the training sites.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any specific questions. Happy to be a resource in any way I can :)

Sorry I misread that. I’m sure they’re excellent instructors. My only comment I really meant to add is the feeling I get from zero g nowadays
Hello,

We are aware that your post is not recent. Just wanted to comment that as mentioned above, we are not working in ZG anymore but still in Mexico in the Puerto Aventuras area. Don't hesitate to contact us for training or diving. We are teaching C1 and C2 classes as well. Hope to see you in MX :wink:

Best,
Emoke and Laszlo

Lots of talent in Mx for GUE instructors, but I want to throw one in here not mentioned yet: Danny Riordan.

He's pretty much allergic to self-promotion which is why I want to mention it here. He is super passionate about cave diving and supportive as a cave educator... and also has 20 plus years teaching for GUE in Mx.

danny AT gue.com

Depends on your personality.
ZG comes across as a very stereotypical better than you GUE shop.
Third dimension is a lot more laid back.

It depends on you, I would imagine the quality of instruction is on par with either.

To close this topic, we booked a class with Kelvin.

He couldn’t make it that week due to some issues, Ivo Chiarino had a class of two where one person dropped.

So we merged both classes to make it a 3 students class with Ivo.

Was very good and very challenging, recommend anyone to do cave 1 with a class of 3. It actually makes the communication and class much harder and you’ll get much more out of it.

Very happy from the class with Ivo and the guided dives we had after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom