Cave 1 limits in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamont,

Current limits for cave 1 are 1/3rd or 500 psi which ever is *less*
mininum 100 cuft to begin penitration.

So for double 80's that would be 500 psi.

Limits changed (or are in the process of changing). We were taught 1/3rd of 2/3rds which is 600 psi of penetration gas. You still need 100 cu ft to start the second dive, though, so you only get 400 psi coming back if you want to do a 2nd dive...

My card still says 1/6ths though...

Limits changed (or are in the process of changing). We were taught 1/3rd of 2/3rds which is 600 psi of penetration gas. You still need 100 cu ft to start the second dive, though, so you only get 400 psi coming back if you want to do a 2nd dive...

So your saying if you have double al 80's filled to 3000 psi. Then your first penitration would be (3000/3 = 1000 psi. 3000- 1000 = 2000 psi. 1/3 of 2000 psi is 600 psi) 600 psi.

Lets say you do 600 out and 400 back (there is flow) and you are left with 2000 psi in the tanks and want to do another dive. The max you could do on that second dive is 400 psi?

I think I will stick with the older way... would rather get two 500 psi cave 1 level dives out of a set of double 80's.

My card says "doubles". So I have been calculating gas based on the circumstances of the day :)

With a 3100 psi fill a 700 psi penetration is nice. With a 3000psi fill, a 4 or 500 and then a second 4 or 500 is a decent way to spend half a day. Although when Limeyx and I did that in both A and B tunnels of Mayan Blue last week I think my legs were sore for a couple days. That was a heck of alot of swimming.

I am informed by somebody who is unable to post in this forum that there are several sites in Florida where there are multiple openings into a cave, and the mainline does not bridge the area of OW (therefore, to pass that spot, one would have to run a gap spool). I do not know this from personal experience, but the person who passed the information along to me was quite concerned that people be aware that there is more than one cave in the world where this occurs.

Some of the other caves listed here have caveats of one kind or another -- The Keyhole in the Devil's system is a minor restriction; the main line at JB T's just past 800 feet.

It's pretty clear that there is a lot more cave at the Cave 1 level in Mexico, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible to go and have a good time in Florida, because we did, and I'm hoping we will again in a couple of weeks :)

I am informed by somebody who is unable to post in this forum that there are several sites in Florida where there are multiple openings into a cave, and the mainline does not bridge the area of OW (therefore, to pass that spot, one would have to run a gap spool).

I think it's the other way around -- the cave1 limits allow a gap as long as it bridges OW.

The statement was that there is basically just one cave that caused that "rule" to be put into place. The one spot I know of that meets this in Mx is in Gran Cenote. No idea if there are others or not.

Cave1 also allows one T, but no jumps, so that might open up a few more areas in FL (certainly does in Mx)

I think it's the other way around -- the cave1 limits allow a gap as long as it bridges OW.

The statement was that there is basically just one cave that caused that "rule" to be put into place. The one spot I know of that meets this in Mx is in Gran Cenote. No idea if there are others or not.

Cave1 also allows one T, but no jumps, so that might open up a few more areas in FL (certainly does in Mx)

Well lets be honest here on Grand Cenote, that gap is pushing the spirit of the limits pretty darn hard. A gap in open water doesn't really mean that you can see open water waaaay off to the left. I would classify it more like a jump myself.

Which does bring up a good point regarding limits. To a certain extent they are slightly subjective. For example: "No restrictions"

Some would clasify that is anything where a two divers can't pass easly by side by side while others point out that while even if side by side doesnt work, as long as they can pass through stacked then it isn't a restriction. Then of course the length of the restriction can play a role. Is it a restriction if the legnth is very small? like a doorway between one room and the next?

According to some, Vaca-ha in Mexico is a dive that falls within cave 1 limits.

I'm sure the spirit of the "restrictions" rule is that you don't want novice cave divers in a situation where one can't get to the other to share gas or otherwise help. But there are places like the Lips in Ginnie which aren't strictly restrictions, since you could almost certainly get two divers through them side by side . . . But in practical fact, it would be a bear, because the second diver would have to be in a place which is highly disadvantageous with respect to flow, and since both of you would be clawing your way through, being of much assistance would be pretty difficult.

On the other hand, the Rocky Horror passage in Madison (which looks like TONS of fun) is clearly exactly what we aren't supposed to get involved with -- a long section of narrow passage, where single file formation is forced by the cave.

I think it's sort of like diving tables . . . You can be absolutely black and white about it, and obey the absolute letter and spirit of the rules, and maybe as you get a little more experience, you can actually start to evaluate what you're looking at with respect to what the limitations on your skills are and what the restrictions on your cert are supposed to do for you. Me, I'm still at the pretty black and white stage of things . . .

Well lets be honest here on Grand Cenote, that gap is pushing the spirit of the limits pretty darn hard. A gap in open water doesn't really mean that you can see open water waaaay off to the left. I would classify it more like a jump myself.

Which does bring up a good point regarding limits. To a certain extent they are slightly subjective. For example: "No restrictions"

Some would clasify that is anything where a two divers can't pass easly by side by side while others point out that while even if side by side doesnt work, as long as they can pass through stacked then it isn't a restriction. Then of course the length of the restriction can play a role. Is it a restriction if the legnth is very small? like a doorway between one room and the next?

According to some, Vaca-ha in Mexico is a dive that falls within cave 1 limits.

Danny was pretty clear that the C1 definition of "side by side" includes stacked -- right before he took us into Mr Satan's silthole.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom