Causes of Sticky Inflator Button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10 years and not a blemish. Only reason I don’t have it any more is because the dealer replaced it when my wing went in for a repair
People’s washing abilities are the unknown quantity here.
Are you suggesting Halcyon used a low grade SS?
Please tell what grade?
A bit late to reply!
You have to ask Halcyon for it.
I have two of them and they all corroded!

The spring of the OPV valve has to replaced because none other than corrosion. Never ever have such an issue with OMS or Dive Rite.

Out of curiosity @divezonescuba how easy is it to service and does it use readily available O rings etc or does it require a proprietary AA service kit? And if so, how much is that kit? Thank you.

The schematic has two small orings, one larger one, and a flat rubber disk called an inflation stem for some reason. These four parts are shared with the atomic SS1 octo inflator service kit which has many, many more parts. The SS1 kit would sell for about $15 retail. I could not find a Ai inflator kit listed on the dealer website and the schematic did not appear to have one listed either. I cannot see the Ai service kit retailing for more than $5-8.

There does not look to be anything special to any of the orings except the flat rubber disk.

However, for obvious reasons as an Atomic dealer, I would make the standard warning that the use non-atomic Sourced parts would raise liability and safety issues.

I do not agree with the idea of replacing the inflator valve every year instead of servicing it.
A lot of plastic and metal gone to the garbage landfills. Valves that only need a service.
Of course, if the valve is broken it should be replaced, but replace it just because it needs an o-ring replacement, some cleaning and lubing ?
Will you replace the bolts of the wheel when you need to repare a flat tire ? Will you replace your car ?
Will you replace your regulator every year instead of servicing it ?
There is general consensus that the regulator shoud be serviced every year. Why this does noy apply to BCDs ? Further more, will you replace your drysuit because the inflator button is sticky ?
Will you throw away your secong stage because the purge button is sticky ?
"Inflators are done in a way that they cannot be serviced" wrong ! Knowing how to do it, it's easy.
No manufacturer will design an inflator valve that needs "custom made o-rings". It's a cost madness.

Replacing those other things is expensive.

Replacing a power inflator is very inexpensive - most likely, less expensive than having it serviced - and can be done easily and safely, without any special training or special tools.

Depend on the brands.

Inflator Service Tool w/O-Ring Kit

Viton BC Power Inflator O-Ring Kit, Five Pieces
Extra set of O-ring
For the grand total of $11.00.

Video for free.

I don't think it does... because I said "having it serviced", not "servicing it yourself".

Unless you find a place that will give you free labor, having it serviced will always be more expensive than replacing it yourself.

Yes, servicing it yourself is even cheaper. Having done it myself, once, I will happily pay the extra $6 or so to eliminate the aggravation and to know that I have a brand new inflator.

The service kit only includes a tool and O-rings. It does not replace any hard parts that may be corroded. The kit also says it does not work for Aqualung, Cressi, Genesis, Mares, Oceanic, and ScubaPro. That's a lot of brands.

Find a little corrosion in there and now you've got some cleaning to do, which requires more time and "tools". And when you're done, is it truly as good as new? Probably not. So, how long before it starts to stick again?

Like I said, I've been down that road. If my inflator starts sticking, I spend 5 minutes and $17 and I'm done. Only tool required is a cutter for the zip ties. No chance of surprises that make it take longer or make it where I end up replacing the whole thing anyway. No tool or O-rings that turn out to not fit the specific inflator I'm working on.

But, that's just me. The $6 you save may be totally worth it, to you.

The hose is 3/4 inches, so the standard inexpensive replacement inflators don't fit
You should be able to replace the elbow (or whole assembly) and then you'll have a standard sized inflator hose. Plain Elbow Inflation Hose Assemblies
or
Remote Exhaust Elbow Inflation Assemblies

Once you get out of the scam-priced ones you quickly realize the power inflator is a disposable part. Sure, if you really wanted you could service the thing, but that's a good bit of work to save 10 bucks at service time.

You should be able to replace the elbow (or whole assembly) and then you'll have a standard sized inflator hose.

Did not even think of that . . . I'm still learning I guess. It's fixed now, but that's something I'll keep in mind for next time.

Back
Top Bottom