Causes of Sticky Inflator Button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are k type inflators and there are k type inflators. The cheaper ones are junk.

In my experience both work, are easy to service and are equally reliable.

What makes you say the "cheaper ones are junk" and are you referring to the "other" ones as being "junk" ?

I'd have to say in my experience the metal cartridge ones (DR?) are a fraction more difficult to disassemble. Cheers.

The cheap ones, regardless of who makes or sells them are difficult to disassemble completely due to the plastic nut inside. If you are going to discard them rather than service them, that may not be an issue to you. For me, I would rather have a higher quality product and maintain it, rather than keep buying and discarding cheap products. In some cases you get what you pay for, this is one of them.

I have come across at least four different versions of k type inflators. Some have smoother finishes, some have rougher finishes, some have serial numbers and some don’t. Some have grey inflator buttons while other have black. Internally however, there only seem to be two types.

The best one I have owned was the Halcyon precision inflator.
It was recalled for what ever reason but it was so easy to rebuild, cost around $0.90
Was made of high grade stainless internals

I replaced both the k inflators with the exhorbitant atomic titanium Inflators on my deep rig. This was a result of how much corrosion I discovered on the original k inflators in just four weeks of continuous salt water diving. I thought I had rinsed them out well enough, but apparently not well enough. The nickel plating had been attacked and brass was exposed. We now service any k inflators after every week of salt water diving.

The best one I have owned was the Halcyon precision inflator.
It was recalled for what ever reason but it was so easy to rebuild, cost around $0.90
Was made of high grade stainless internals
The reason for the recall because of corrosion!!!
High grade SS! You must be joking.

The cheap ones, regardless of who makes or sells them are difficult to disassemble completely due to the plastic nut inside. If you are going to discard them rather than service them, that may not be an issue to you. For me, I would rather have a higher quality product and maintain it, rather than keep buying and discarding cheap products. In some cases you get what you pay for, this is one of them.

I have come across at least four different versions of k type inflators. Some have smoother finishes, some have rougher finishes, some have serial numbers and some don’t. Some have grey inflator buttons while other have black. Internally however, there only seem to be two types.

Then I guess our experiences are different, I've had no issue disassembling "cheap" ones. I've never had corrosion issues either, perhaps due to my OCD and fastidious cleaning regime.

Link to a three year old "cheap" inflator I was servicing as I had a live aboard planned and likely bored. FWIW I dive every week, salt water.

Generic inflator O ring size

The reason for the recall because of corrosion!!!
High grade SS! You must be joking.
10 years and not a blemish. Only reason I don’t have it any more is because the dealer replaced it when my wing went in for a repair
People’s washing abilities are the unknown quantity here.
Are you suggesting Halcyon used a low grade SS?
Please tell what grade?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom