Cause of "the blues"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just got back from a holiday down south, on which a very good friend had loaned me his Sea&Sea MX-10. For my first attempt at u/w photography, I am quite proud of my pics. I mean you can recognise almost everything. Though why I took a picture of someone's feet is still a mystery to me. Many of the pics have a distinctly turquoise colour on them. My question is this - is the colour because I was too far away from the subjects?

You're photo's have that blue tinge to them because you were out of range for your strobe. A strobe will only light 3-4 ft. Next time, get closer!

If you have some particular pictures that you like, there may be some help. The magic in prints is in the processing from negative to paper. If you take the negatives to a real photo processing shop (no Xmart or drug store) and talk with the photo tech he can do wonders with the image. Most photo techs are "programmed" to process all photos as if they were land photos so the color balance is all off. The good news is that this is only the neg to paper part of the process so the negatives are still ok. To find one of there processors, try talking with pro wedding photographers, they use them. The other possibility is to send the negatives to a new service that Kodak has introduced. The techs there are experienced in uw photo processing and the photos come out a lot better. Go to the Sea & Sea web site and you can find a link to the Kodak web page. This will not cure all of the uw photo ills but you will be suprised just how much better your pictures will look if they are processed by someone who understands uw photography. Welcome to UW photography, it's a lot different than the topside stuff.

Thanks Herman, Dee.
I had the feeling I was too far away, but I'm still proud of my first attempt. I'll be checking out phots processing around here.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom