Catheters for Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
I just bought a custom CF 200 and will be diving soon in it. I have been testing catheters and find them to be the most painfull thing i've ever put myself through. I know a few of the secrets to making it easier but am not satisfied. I dive at least 2 days a week. Every week!!! I'm wondering if anyone uses a resuable gluefree catheter that uses a compression strap to tighten? Do these hold? I would love to here a few tips on this touchy subject. I plan on diving more than 100 times a year with this suit would like use of my lower extremeties. Thank you all and hope to see you diving in the Northeast. SID

Hi
I dive with a few friends who use a pee valve and the catheter condoms. I just had one installed myself.

From what I hear, the ones without adhesive are not trustworthy. And of the adhesive variety, the only ones I have heard of that consistently "stick" are called wide bands. I am not sure who distributes them, but I'll have a look at my box when i go home, or maybe someone else will pipe in here....

I know several people who have used other adhesive brands and have had tehm come off in the suit mid dive...not a nice situation...

Be advised, best to shave your shaft down to the base, and a little beyond that. And cutting your other hair short makes for an easier removal as well...

JAG

Is it the doning or doffing that is a problem? I haven't used on myself. I just hold it (which can be miserable sometimes), but I've got some experience with condom caths (see my profile if you really must know :D ). The easiest and less painful way to remove the catheters is to get some alcohol wipe pads and slowly wipe around the catheter. The alcohol helps the adhesive "let go" and makes it a much less painful process. Good luck!

Just curious, I see that they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and a box of 100 is not that cheap.
How did you decide what type/size to buy?
Can you buy samples individually? Or get a sampler kit?

I was lucky enough to be able to try a few different sizes.

They do make a cardboard measuring device that is supposed to measure your diameter. I guess you're supposed to insert your member in the half holes to see where you fit. I wish all of life was this simple...

One thing I have seen for sure is that getting a size too big is more detrimental than too small...

Ok - I admit I don't use a P-valve, but I do have some experience with medical grade adhesives. I'm diabetic and use an insulin pump. The infusion set is taped to the body, therefore it can be a pain to get off. The best thing I've found to resolve the issue is a product from Smith and Nephew called Uni-Solve. I did a quick search and found a site that sells it:

http://www.hebhomecare.com/SN_woundcare/SN_woundcare_skincare_unisolve.htm

It breaks down the adhesive and makes removal much easier and less painful. They are packed in individual pads similar to an alcohol wipe. I don't know the cheapest place to get them, as mine are covered by insurance since I use them for the infusion sets (I never see the real bill).

Another vote for wide bands...

The Rochester Medical website has a very useful info page with a measuring device for figuring out what size you need. You can also order free samples direct from Rochester...I think they will send up to 3 sizes. Once you get the size figured out from the samples, you can place a bigger order from Allegro Medical or any of the other med supply web sites folks have recommended. I received my last order from Allegro in less than 24 hours.

http://www.rocm.com/02x01f.html

As for donning/doffing -- there are a bunch of hints on the Rochester web site for this as well. The key for donning is positioning the cath and then making sure you give your plumbing a couple of firm squeezes to make sure everything is locked down.

Doffing -- lots of warm water and soap...and patience. Some folks also recommend some personal grooming...;-)

For a good (and rather humorous) and VERY specific read on this topic, check out this link. Put the Coke down before you read this, or you may have a messy keyboard....

http://www.thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438&highlight=catheters

Good luck.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom