Cathedral Rocks......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDMD

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving Cat. Rocks this upcoming week-end with AfterDark.......

I was just wondering what to expect about the site, the parking, getting in and out etc.

In other words, I am trying to be prepared about this site so I don't look like a total newbie to my dive buddy who has been there plenty of times.....

Thanks for any hints, I will report back how the dive went.:)

It's the best shore site on Cape Ann (IMO), but does require a bit of "work". If possible, try to go with someone who has already been for your first visit. Not every path down the rocks is equally easy. :) I always arrived early to grab one of the limited number of parking spaces (before the road turns private). Of all the advice I could offer, though, the best would be: got at HIGH tide. Giant stride in and easier exit out. If there is any appreciable swell, go somewhere else. The exit can be unkind, especially until you get a few attempts under your belt.

Pack a lunch and eat on the rocks. It's one of the most scenic areas in all of Cape Ann.

There's a nice write up of the site here: MIT Scuba Club

Have fun!

Pick a cooler day to dive it. Thought of hiking gear up and down the rocks in this heat.. I know others that make multiple trips up and down w/ gear. I prefer to just suck it up and hike up and down with gear on taking it slow. My body feels it in AM. Do take it easy on the rock entry as it is mossy and slippery.

After dropping in, I surface swim towards SE and drop down about a 50 yards as want to get to the area where pink granite formations are. If you are not familiar with Rock formations, I recommend o leave an extra flag at the entry point (leave on rocks) so you can easily find entry point. (hard to find from water as facing shore)

If go to the sandy area (the moon), don't bother as nothing there. All the cool stuff is in the huge boulder formations.

Getting back up is easier crawling on hands and knees until get to dry part of rock. I wouldn't recommend trying to stand up right away.

make sure absolutely flat and high tide.

Everything they said about CR is spot on Diver DMD, which is why I said I'm not sure if my knees can take the climbing. Now the heat is a another wrinkle. We'll talk about alternatives over the phone this week. Not to worry we'll be diving somewhere, if I'm driving 4 hours round trip I'm diving!

The previous posters have pretty much covered it. The only thing I would add is to take a dry run down the rocks before you start carrying your stuff. The easiest line is NOT straight down and will save you a great deal of effort. People think I'm nuts but I routinely do this dive in double HP 120's with no more difficulty than the other CA shore dives. Just gotta pick your line... go toward the right off of the dirt path. If you're doing it right, you should be able to make the whole trek with baby steps with the exception of one move.

Just to reinforce what has already been said - Time the tide. 90 minutes before to 90 minutes after peak is ideal. I've done it well beyond that but it's a little trickier. Lastly, swell is MUCH more noticeable here and it will kick your butt on the exit.

Just one thing to add: watch for the poison ivy on the paths - the stuff is everywhere.
Jim

Well DiverDMD and I did a dive at CH Sunday. A lot of work for one bug, more than average surge and 10' vis. Thanks to the divemaster from East Coast divers and the ladies checking out the site for helping us egress! It would have been much more difficult without your help! It's too bad what was probably my last dive at CH from shore at least was such a below average dive, I've memories of some great dives there years ago. I found one path without poison ivy it is everywhere as xroirat warned.
Also DiverDMD got a difficult intro to what is a fantastic dive site. We needed equipment bearers!

The second dive at Folly Cove was a good dive the vis was about 20' water was calm. No bugs there either though, but less work and more enjoyable. Thanks for coming out with me DiverDMD hope your not too sore today, I'm still hitting the Advil!

Yes indeed.......

Myself and AfterDark met at the rocks on Sunday morning......looked a bit rough, but what do I know, I have never dove there before.....

After bringing all our gear down in a about 3 trips we slid in at around 9:30 am, 2 hours before high tide.......

Lots of undercurrent, visibility not too great, no legal bugs in site, well, except the one I took home.......

Getting out was a whole new experience, and as AfterDark said, it wasn't too fun being smashed against the rock on exit, a big thanks to the other divers on the rocks to helps us out with the gear.......

In short, I will not be diving here again, unless I am on a boat, pretty site, but way too much work to get the gear down and up and then dealing with the surge and undercurrent ( oh, and I also lost my dive light), for just one lobster and for what I experienced as an overall dive.....

The Folly dive, totally different story, it felt like we were diving in a tropical island in comparison to C.R........stayed on the Rockport side of the rocks, several undersized lobsters, some nice size flounder, which by this time of the year have awaken and are not easy to spear any longer........

In conclusion, I tried C.R. once, so I can say I have dove and got a bug there, but I won't be shore diving there again, call me wimp, but the "cost to rewards" equation was too steep for this diver....... I am very sore today, maybe because I am not 25 anymore......:wink:

A big THANKS to AfterDark for driving up from RI, total 4 hour trip for him, and for guiding me around and for putting up with me and my tons of question........and yes, I was sore in my office today....... I just told my patients I had a "pretty intensive work-out" on Sunday..........:D

I misread the first post, and was going to say...

If you never dove Cathedral Rocks before, doing it the first time after dark is not a safe thing to do!

Good thing that's not what you meant! :D

next time try to exit the water in the inlet , the rocks at its entrance protect it quite a bit, even in a big surge you can still crawl out, just make sure you got kevlar pads on your suit.
i still can't figure out where you dove on in there that you did not see any bugs - i went there and the place was swarming with them just 3 weeks ago. also, if you are into spearfishing there was plenty to shoot. the place is a little more weedy that last year but still acceptable, if the surface is too agitated you can go straight out into 70-80ft of water and it's much more calm.
I think I did more than 50 dives on that site in the last 3 years and it was always enjoyable with plenty to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom