Catfish Motel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It looks like i might be diving Catfish Motel and Manatee Springs this Thursday. I dove them for my OW cert dives. Nice dive, but I was always a bit worried on the surface about alligators in Catfish Motel. Once under, the bubbles cleared away the duckweed and nothing in the water is as scary in the water, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen or heart of alligators living in there? :) If you have, please feel free to lie to me.

I have never heard of alligators in Catfish Motel. I have never asked and I have never been diving there. To be honest I don't really even know where it is but at least I haven't heard about any gators. (Glad I could help:wink:)

In any body of water in Florida there is a chance of gators. That being said the chance of one bothering you at Catfish Hotel is slim.

JahJahwarrior:
It looks like i might be diving Catfish Motel and Manatee Springs this Thursday. I dove them for my OW cert dives. Nice dive, but I was always a bit worried on the surface about alligators in Catfish Motel. Once under, the bubbles cleared away the duckweed and nothing in the water is as scary in the water, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen or heart of alligators living in there? :) If you have, please feel free to lie to me.

Er, are you diving that as a group etc?
Or a class...
Just curious...
I was looking for an opening to go to Manatee sometime this week before my vacations ends.

Jeano Beano

Well , at least the view from the Ranger station parking lot area was , er , uh ...

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

I hope you both had wonderful dives this morning...

Jean
Fort White , Florida

I found a weight. I lost the weight. My buddy found the weight. And vultures ate my mask.

Jean, I'm really sorry though, I can't say another other than I just didn't think about the fact that they don't let solo divers in. I was confused as to why you hadn't just come down to the parking lot there by the springs until you said "becuase they don't let you in if you aren't in a group." My buddy was confused until then too. We did wait until a little after 10 to go down to the water, but neither of us ever thought about them not letting you in to dive without a buddy. In hindsight, we should have waited at the entrance. We could have atleast maybe told the people we were waiting in another diver, maybe then they would have let you come get us so we could tell them you were diving with us. It was the mistake of a novice diver who has never met someone at a place to dive with them before, other than following right behidn them or something. It won't be made again, because I'll remember the time I was going to meet up with a lady named Jean and didnt' think about it. I'm sorry though, I really am, for wasting your time like that, even if I didn't mean to it was rude.

No worries !!!!
I should have mentioned that we needed to meet at the Rangers station. Manatee is wierd about that.

Again , I hope your dives were wonderful !!!

And the next time you go over to Manatee , let me know!

Now that we know how to group together... :D

Jeano Beano

^glad you aren't going to kill me. I thought maybe you paid off the birds to attack my gear :)

I'm going to be going back sometime though, Catfish was a nice dive, nicer than I remembered! But it makes me want to get cave cert so bad! I went to the "stop" sign in the entrance there, well, not to it, close enough I could tell it was a stop sign. And I know if I had lights I would have been sitting there looking around and I would be tempted to go in. It's so alluring!!! Alas, my parents forbid it and my budget prohibits it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom