Catch limits and sizes around the world.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry if this thread appears twice but I started one the same and it seems to have disapeard.

Im interested to know the size and catch limits of various species in diffrent parts of the world. For example in New Zealand...

Lobster (also called Crayfish in NZ). Spiny red lobster male 54mm across the tail, female 60mm across the tail. Packhorse lobster ( worlds largest lobster) 216mm tail length. Limit of 6 per diver, no season, soft shelled or females in egg not allowed.

Scallops 100mm across shell. Season mid July to 14 feb (only 2 days to go). 20 per diver and another 20 each for up to 2 safety people on boat.

Mussels 25 per diver, no season, no size limit. Up till late last year you could not get mussels on scuba.

Paua (abalone) Not allowed on scuba. Not sure of size lor catch limits as I never bother freediving for them.

Nice in concept, but won't this be complicated when factoring in that a lobster in California is different than a lobster in Maine, or Florida, or Australia. The number of different species of mussels, abalone, lobster etc. make it almost impossible to compare limits as its all apples and oranges.
Nonetheless, I'll help you with your request. Here are California regulations:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/oceanfish2006.pdf 64 pages
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2006/06freshfishregbook.pdf 68 pages
Limits and seasons vary depending upon your location along the coast, and the commission changes things throughout the year, so those regulations change constantly. A pain, but we deal with it.

JustinW:
Nice in concept, but won't this be complicated when factoring in that a lobster in California is different than a lobster in Maine, or Florida, or Australia. The number of different species of mussels, abalone, lobster etc. make it almost impossible to compare limits as its all apples and oranges.

Thanks for your input but I think you misunderstood what it is I wanted to know. I am not looking at starting an all encompassing artical on all species in all parts of the globe. I just want to get a bit of feed back from a few divers around the globe stating what the top 4 or 5 targeted speices are and the limits for them in thier area. Much like i stated for Auckland NZ in my first post.
So what is it you target when you go out hunting & gathering?

Packhorse:
Sorry if this thread appears twice but I started one the same and it seems to have disapeard.

Im interested to know the size and catch limits of various species in diffrent parts of the world. For example in New Zealand...

Lobster (also called Crayfish in NZ). Spiny red lobster male 54mm across the tail, female 60mm across the tail. Packhorse lobster ( worlds largest lobster) 216mm tail length. Limit of 6 per diver, no season, soft shelled or females in egg not allowed.

Scallops 100mm across shell. Season mid July to 14 feb (only 2 days to go). 20 per diver and another 20 each for up to 2 safety people on boat.

Mussels 25 per diver, no season, no size limit. Up till late last year you could not get mussels on scuba.

In Florida, U.S.A. Spiny Lobster [crawfish ] the caprice must be larger than 3 inches
The daily legal limit is 6 per person. for recreational divers and 250 per day for commercial divers.
We can also take stone crabs with 2 3/4 in claw only the claws can be takenv

Paua (abalone) Not allowed on scuba. Not sure of size lor catch limits as I never bother freediving for them.
In Florida, U.S.A. Spiny Lobster [crawfish ] the caprice must be larger than 3 inches
The daily legal limit is 6 per person. for recreational divers and 250 per day for commercial divers.

And in Florida there's no daily limit on lobster that commercial trappers may take:wink:Nor is the a limit on the amount of shorts they may leave in a trap to attact others,nor any limitations about leaving stuff on the reef.

Florida.Grouper,snapper,hogfish.
Limits are dependent on species but run from 1 warsaw grouper per boat to 10 or more of certain snapper.

Back
Top Bottom