Catalina Island trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overall sounds like you had a decent time and I do hope you return to SoCal to dive again. After lugging your gear about you can appreciate why the Avalon cab rides are worth the $$. Now that you have the Dive Park checked off, look at a 2-3 day liveabord trip to the outer islands for your next visit. (Truth Aquatics, Peace, Magician)

My great great Uncle and great great grandfather were Texicans and at the Alamo
My great grandfather was a Texican who departed Texas ASAP married my great grand mother in Missouri
We are name after Sam Houston (grand father, father me and son Sam IV)

I have always been taught "show me" from the Missouri heritage and from the Texicans heritage " things are bigger in Texas" -- (as well as Catalina water which magnifies)

Dang, it looks like we might be related. My grandmother's maiden name was Houston and she told me that her grandfather was Sam Houston's youngest son. I have not been able to trace that through any geneology though. Also, my ancestors settled in Missouri around 1850. One of them started a wooden shoe business.

Unfortunately there are a few pretty bad restaurants on Catalina. Coyote Joe's restaurant was pretty awful, as was Antonio's II (the one on the water.)

I'm surprised to see Antonio's on your list. That's been the go-to place for my buddies and I for years.
We're usually pretty beer'd up by the time our order arrives, so maybe we don't really notice the food that much.
Anyway, we'll keep going there.

@JamesBon92007

"Dang, it looks like we might be related. My grandmother's maiden name was Houston and she told me that her grandfather was Sam Houston's youngest son. I have not been able to trace that through any geneology though. Also, my ancestors settled in Missouri around 1850. One of them started a wooden shoe business. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cousins ?
Stranger things have happened --
My family settled in Missouri frontier about the same time ..
They settled in Houston, Texas County Missouri-- Yes that was the location !

To trace your family history contact the local Latter Day Saints aka Mormon church.
They are connected to the SLC main frame and will trace your family for free
Sam Miller, 111

Catalina is a gem, glad you had fun. Hope you return soon.
Where's brian williams when you need'em.

The day tripping mainlanders use the luggage service at the base of the pier to haul our gear from the ferry to the dive park. They tag your bags and collect the fee, I forget what the charge is now. By the time you stroll to the dive park, your bags are there to start your set up. At the end of your dives, you call them for a pick up and they will store your bags until you are ready to pick them up and stand in line for the ferry. Easy peasy!

I am glad you got to go to the dive park and that you got to see a giant black sea bass! I had gone to the park many times before I saw one, but there have been a couple of them hanging out there the last few times I've been. They are very cool, very chill fish. :)

Don't be disappointed that you didn't see a sea lion at the park. I've never seen a sea lion or seal within the park. Maybe others have. Some of the boat dives (Bird Rock or the oil rigs) are the best places to see them, IMHO. I think if you could only do one dive day in SoCal, I would recommend the dive park. Others get bored of it, but it's my favorite. You can't beat that entry, either. So easy to walk down a few steps and just fall in. I have had trouble getting out when it's low tide and I'm in doubles. I'm sorry your wife got banged up.

If you come back to Catalina, when you get off the ferry, I'd walk up the pier and then at the top, you can see the Catalina Luggage Service mentioned above, or the taxis sitting at the top. Either one can help with the gear hauling. The Luggage guy will drive the gear only, and you walk, or if you take a taxi then you get a ride, too. The luggage service will also hold your stuff while you eat if it's a day trip (on the way back). I don't use them anymore because the guy has gotten grumpy about doubles. We just use the taxis. The only downside to the taxi is that for a day trip, you can't leave your gear anywhere to go get lunch. So what we do now for day trips is get sandwiches at the deli on the pier, which has really good food, and eat them on the Express on the way back.

If you want to go out on boat dives to Catalina (or the oil rigs or local wrecks) and stay mainland-based, that's also a good option for any future trips. If you are coming back out and find that there are no big boats going out on the days you plan to come, send me a PM. We can often get together a group to fill up a 6 pack and then we can choose where to go, if you're interested. :)

I think if you could only do one dive day in SoCal, I would recommend the dive park. Others get bored of it, but it's my favorite. :)

Those who get bored diving it just aren't taking the time to look and learn. Over my 50 years here on the island I've done thousands of dives in the park (plus another thousand or two elsewhere on the island or exotic destinations). People have asked if I don't get bored and I say no. Too often I see a new species or behavior when I dive there... which helps me better understand the ecosystem itself.

We usually rent a condo at Hamilton Cove (the next cove over from Descanso) because they come with a golf cart. They also have kitchens so if we are staying a week we cook in most of the time and have dinner out at a favorite restaurant once or twice. I just throw my dive gear in the cart and park down at the dive park. The golf cart is also great for scooting around Avalon, zipping up to the old Wrigley Mansion, Botanical gardens and Wrigley Memorial. My best friend is buried in the cemetary there so I always stop in for a chat. My 2psi. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom