Catalina island diver missing - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

Search underway for diver reported missing near Catalina

The U.S. Coast Guard is teaming up with local responders to search for a diver reported missing Monday morning near Catalina.

The dive ship “Cee Ray” reported the unidentified diver missing around 2:10 a.m., the Coast Guard stated in a news release.

He was identified as 42-year-old Justin Hoang of Huntington Beach, who was last seen wearing black wetsuit and dive gear, Coast Guard officials said.

Two helicopter crews and a response boat crew were initially launched to search for Hoang.

Coast Guard assets will continue their search and rescue operations with the help of Baywatch Cabrillo an Baywatch Avalon, the news release stated.

No further details about the diver or the circumstances surrounding the disappearance were immediately available.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Coast Guard at 310-521-3801.

I hope he is found safe, and secondarily, that details come available. Cee Ray looks like a well-established Catalina boat—but like Tursiops said—2am …

Reported missing at 0210am? !!
Lobster season opened Saturday, and the best hunting is at night I've read.

Reported missing at 0210am? !!
Not unheard of -- It was the first weekend of the CA lobster season. Lobsters are nocturnally active. This is exactly why the start of the season was recently switched from midnight to 0600hrs -- to hopefully prevent all the people who only dive during lobster season from making a night dive on their first dive in 8 months. Sunday night was the first night of the season.

Prayers for rescue ASAP.

PLB anyone? It’s a big ocean.

PLB anyone? It’s a big ocean.
I was recently criticized here on SB by a member for carrying one, "Because no one else does." I never leave home without it, and certainly wouldn't dive an ocean without one. Years before I learned about them, I bought some portable marine radios, but found them useless. I need to rehome those.

This is not the first diver to go missing in Catalina. Technology is much better now than when I used to dive there. I’d say use it. Especially at night.

Back
Top Bottom