Catalina is on fire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Scott, to some degree the vegetation here is salt adapted due to its proximity to the ocean and the salt spray occasionally carried even to "high" altitudes by our strong wind storms. This is probably less true for the vegetation in the interior of the island where salt spray is much less common.

The water drops are certainly not saturating the soil anywhere that I'm familiar with. However, the hot spot closest to my home did have dozens of salt water drops on it. Might be a good location to study for the effects of the increased salt in the soil.

The fire retardant (phosgene?) that was dropped by the "borate bombers" is another interesting study. I would assume that LA County Fire and the California Dept. of Forestry has already conducted studies elsewhere as to its effects in the recovery of vegetation.

The wife of one of our Conservancy rangers told me yesterday that he had observed a phosgene drop that landed on two mule deer. Now, instead of hunters wearing red vests we have two deer wearing red coats (no, the British are not coming). Got to inject a little humor.

A helicopter has been hovering over my part of the canyon since I woke up. I assume they are looking for any remaining hot spots. I don't see any, but if that's what they are doing I'm happy for their diligence. I used to hate it when helicopters passed over my home (especially if I was recording narration for my show or a new DVD). Now I welcome the noise!

It would be interesting in a few months for you to discuss the growth in those Hot spots in your area....I guess first we will need some rain.....It is a shame CA only leases the SuperScoopers for three months a year......they say the Griffith park and Catalina fire could of probably of been put out in a couple of hours if those planes were available....I wounder the cost of fighting those two fires....If those planes could of been paid for....but of course smarter people make those decisions....LOL...LOL

GO Helicopters!!!!!!!

Um, Scott... are you suggesting there exist smarter people than you and me? Whew... I didn't think so.

Yes, there has been some talk about the SuperScoopers. Hal Fishman on KTLA Channel 5 (who is a bit too far to the right for me most of the time) had an editorial stating that if we had two of them in our arsenal, these fires would have been knocked back quickly.

That helo is still cruising and hovering over this small area of Avalon Canyon. I think I'll go out on my deck and wave thanks.

DARN... the pilot saw me coming and landed at fire central as I came out on the deck.

drbill:
The fire retardant (phosgene?) that was dropped by the "borate bombers" is another interesting study. I would assume that LA County Fire and the California Dept. of Forestry has already conducted studies elsewhere as to its effects in the recovery of vegetation.

The wife of one of our Conservancy rangers told me yesterday that he had observed a phosgene drop that landed on two mule deer. Now, instead of hunters wearing red vests we have two deer wearing red coats (no, the British are not coming). Got to inject a little humor.
Phosgene is a poisonous gas created by burning freon. I think it is some sort of phosphate that is used.:D

Thanks, Robert. I think it is phoscheck I am thinking of. I was a chemistry "major" in high school but gave it up for marine biology in college!

Well, I have to report that the fire fighters did not completely drain the dive park! I jumped in yesterday about 1:30 pm and had a look around. Dr. Bill was a no show but there were a half dozen bat rays to keep me company instead. The vis started out at about 20 to 25 feet but during my 50 minute dive the current picked up moving east to west and the vis dropped to about 10 to 15. It was just a bit past low tide, it seems the vis has been better around high tide. All and all though it was a great dive, I had the whole place to myself to just zen out and play with all the pretty fishes. If anyone is on the fence about coming out this week or next weekend, don't hold back because you are not sure of the conditions. in my opinion the conditions are great.

Sounds like a great dive....love those Bat Rays.....Just wish that water was 82....I'd be diving.

The fire fighters are beginning to get well-deserved breaks from their hard work. I spent the afternoon walking around in our empty streets (I know our visitors are not here, but wher are our locals?). Every time I saw a fire crew or support personnel, I stopped to say thanks.

So many people, locals and mainlanders, worked so hard to ensure the safety of Avalon. However, I am furious about one thing. Following the press briefing Friday, I turned to the individual watching it with me and we both said at the same time "Where was the Conservancy?" Not one person

WARNING: Soapbox harangue about to begin (what follows is my opinion, but a very educated opinion)

Well, I knew where the Conservancy staff were. Facilities management teams were out on the front lines fighting the fire without need for "direction" from the "executives." The rangers were out transporting personnel and supplies for the crews. Other staff were involved in a variety of different ways.

But where were the "leaders" of the Conservancy. I quickly found out only one, Dr. Carlos de la Rosa, was even on the island and he was indeed trapped in the interior and doing what he could to assist in the effort. However, Dr. Ann Muscat (president); Mel Dunkle (COO) and Leslie Baer (Communications/PR) were ALL at an international ecotourism conference in NORWAY! My first thought was who made the decision to allow all three of the top personnel to go to a conference not just off-island or even out of state, but out of the country!

When I was one of the three top executives of the Conservancy, all of us made sure that at least one of us was on island or at least easily reachable in the event of an emergency. I cannot understand the lapse in judgment that led to all three being gone at the same time, especially at such a distance.

Now the Conservancy is an organization whose mission I respect. I was one of a number of people who suggested its formation to the Wrigley family back in 1971. Although many perceive it as "rich" (and a "boondoggle" like this only reinforces that view), it is not. When I was V.P. we were careful even about travel to the mainland. I believe I only used the helicopter once and that was when the boats weren't running and I was expected to speak at a conference on the mainland. We were cautious about our expenditures and our salaries were on the order of 1/2 to 1/3rd those of current executives.

The Conservancy will have much unexpected work to do in response to this fire. It will need the support of people who love Catalina, both topside and beneath the seas. It will need donations. Please do not hesitate to make those if you feel so inclined. However, I would suggest that these donations be targeted to specific needs and that they be conditioned with a demand that none of the donation will be used for "administrative overhead." IMHO there is no reason for those of us who love Catalina to fund irresponsible travel like this. But help the staff that is doing the work on the island itself. They need, and deserve, your support.

Falling off soapbox... into deep (and probably hot) water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom