Catalina Express Checking Weight of Luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

since my earlier post on the other thread, I made a call and spoke with the Mayor of Avalon, Bob Kennedy. He said he's received a number of phone calls about this topic and promised to bring it up at the city council meeting this evening.

Perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe it was in the recent past, but I thought the Mayor of Avalon was also the owner of Catalina Express?

I'm seriously considering faxing the new policy to all of the local dive shops.

Perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe it was in the recent past, but I thought the Mayor of Avalon was also the owner of Catalina Express?

His Honor is in fact the owner of Scuba Luv, aka Bob Kennedy

Tobin

His Honor is in fact the owner of Scuba Luv, aka Bob Kennedy

[Edit] I misunderstood Tobin's response and so this one is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Wow, if Catalina Express is owned by an island-side SCUBA retailer than this policy change makes even less sense than it would if the Express was owned by a non-SCUBA party.

The Express is not owned by a Island based Scuba Shop.

The mayor of Avalon, aka Bob Kennedy, owns Scuba Luv and the King Neptune Dive Boat Catalina Scuba Luv Dive Boat: "King Neptune." Catalina Island, California

I've always found Bob to be approachable, and genuinely concerned about what's best for Divers and the City of Avalon.

As divers we are fortunate to have Bob in office.

Tobin

It's probably due to the new USCG AAWPP. Don't you love govt acronyms Assumed Average Weight Per Person. The USCG realized that their old weight per passenger didn't apply to todays plus size passenger so they upped the weight. More weight per passenger means the vessel can carry less passengers in some cases. Some vessels need to get new stability certificates.

Weight has become a critical issue on certain boats

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5212/docs/secg12142010.pdf

(2) Weight compensation. One method to
demonstrate compliance with the new AAWPP requirement
is to reduce the cargo weight carried by an amount equal
to the difference in permitted weight of passengers and
crew associated with the new and old AAWPPs. This is only
available to vessels carrying either deck or vehicular cargo
in addition to passengers.
(3) Direct verification. Every time a vessel is loaded,
the owner or operator ensures that the weight of persons
loaded on the vessel does not exceed the total permitted
weight. The way this may be verified, such as weighing all
persons as they board,

I headed to Catalina thursday through Sunday and DID have my dive bag checked on the scale as well as most of the few divers that I saw leaving that day. But they were checking only divers bags. I saw several people with very large suitcases (bigger than my dive bag) and they didn't give them a second look. Thought it was kind of crazy since everyone is handling their own bags. I'm sure this must be the start of something else to come. (like they will start loading your luggage for "free" and charging you more to travel) But they did not check on the return trip. I guess it must not be a issue on your return to the mainland. You're only heavy heading to the island.

As a diver I really enjoy going to Catalina. I like most others love to dive and then have dinner and shop or whatever before heading back to the ferry. So we all bring and generate a significant amount of business for the island. I did notice when I went there a couple of months ago there was some grumbling from the crew about the bags (I just had a large dive bag and tank). Alienating the diving community will only hurt them and the island since we have other easier diving options available. I'd hate to see them go the way of the airlines where being pleasant and customer service go out the window.

It's probably due to the new USCG AAWPP. Don't you love govt acronyms Assumed Average Weight Per Person. The USCG realized that their old weight per passenger didn't apply to todays plus size passenger so they upped the weight. More weight per passenger means the vessel can carry less passengers in some cases. Some vessels need to get new stability certificates.

Weight has become a critical issue on certain boats

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5212/docs/secg12142010.pdf

(2) Weight compensation. One method to
demonstrate compliance with the new AAWPP requirement
is to reduce the cargo weight carried by an amount equal
to the difference in permitted weight of passengers and
crew associated with the new and old AAWPPs. This is only
available to vessels carrying either deck or vehicular cargo
in addition to passengers.
(3) Direct verification. Every time a vessel is loaded,
the owner or operator ensures that the weight of persons
loaded on the vessel does not exceed the total permitted
weight. The way this may be verified, such as weighing all
persons as they board,

A SoCal diver on another board reported that he asked the Express about this and was told by management it was not the issue (although I can see it impacting their operations). They were told it was due to injuries suffered by the crew in handling overweight baggage. Now I can understand that on the smaller boats where baggage must be lifted up onto the conveyor that leads into the baggage hold. However, on the large catamarans we carry our own gear on board. I've never had crew assist me, or even offer to that I can remember, in getting my dive gear on board. However, I use a two wheeled dolly to carry everything in one trip and apparently those are still acceptable under the Express' policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom