Catalina, Avalon 3-26 report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you had a great time at the park. The barracuda were back out today according to a few divers who saw them.

Hard to believe but a few years ago I was diving with a buddy at the wreck (I assume you were at the Suejac since it has the large swim through holes). I saw what looked like a huge school of baitfish and started swimming towards it with my camera rolling. As I got closer, the fish came into focus... it was a giant school of barracuda. We estimated at least 500 in the school. Never seen that before or since.

Thanks for sharing the report. Although it just makes me want to dive there even more...too bad it will be a long time before I get to.

That's awesome, Mike, so looking forward to my trip there in July! It's pretty cool you got a DM to show you around, too, for your first time. Good to have a second set of eyes and someone who knows the place.

I am only back one day, and I already am seriously planning to go back and dive Avalon once more, but this time with my gear.

So who would be up for driving down to Long Beach, splitting gas in my economical CRV and staying for free at my brothers house, to rest up before the drive back?

Parking is only $12 bucks all day pass, that's just 6 bucks if we split it. We can take the Catalina Express boat, it's only $66.50 for roundtrip ticket.

We only pay for an air fill once on the island we can rent steel tanks on the island.

I am on break in April next week, lets make this happen... So who wants to see the beauty of Avalon?

Diving plan: leave Friday after work 8pm arrive brothers house at 2am, sleep and relax Saturday we can check out Orange County diving, possilbe shore dives with our tanks optional.

Sunday we wake up to be in Avalon at 8am and leave the island at 4pm, we drive back up to Bay Area and you'll be ready for work Monday, with awesome scuba stories to tell your buddies. :wink:

Here is a great video I got on youtube of seiously what I saw that day, minus the school of Barracuda's that made me hicup on my reg. :D

Oh Mike! What a temptation!
edit. I'll do it, if you'll go with a girl? Is that OK?
That's the 9-11th, right?

Thanks for the trip report.

I'm doing a GUE Fundamentals Course in LA middle of August and the last two days are on Catalina.

I didn't know what to expect but now I can look forward to it with great anticipation.

Take lots of pictures on your next trip down there.

Dive Safe

Hey Nesher, have fun in Fundies, I'll look forward to your feedback and experiences! If you're in the area, come out and dive with us.

Doc

Thanks for the trip report.

I'm doing a GUE Fundamentals Course in LA middle of August and the last two days are on Catalina.

I didn't know what to expect but now I can look forward to it with great anticipation.

Take lots of pictures on your next trip down there.

Dive Safe

Back
Top Bottom