Cat Bathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hehe, good one. i remember bathing our cats. the poor things seem so traumatized after the experience, worse than me.

one of our cats actually loves water... she'll jump in the shower with me... however, once you put soap on her, the struggle ensues... but it's actually managable with both of our cats. we started them at a young age.

... or you could try the deliCATe cycle on the washing machine... :wink:

I know you are all just kidding but just as a disclaimer:
Please don't bathe your cats since they depend on their odour. If you can't stand it don't live with a cat (notice that I didn't say "own a cat")! By changing her smell you make your cat lick herself allover again and if she has long hairs you can kill her this way. If she goes out without her usual smell all other cats will attack her!!!

Please don't bathe cats (unless you have GM cat that has almost nothing to do with feline family and never goes out...)!!!

end of disclaimer

sorry for this but I don't like animals hurt

Albion - I like the drying technique :)

Never heard the one about giving the cat a bath and the fur on the tongue.

FreeFloat:
Have you seen the one about how to give your cat a pill?

I'll see if I can find it later.........
How to give a pill to a cat and a dog

CAT:

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As the cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and vigorously rub cat's throat.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make a note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of your last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve the friggin' cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13) Tie the little @#!*#^~!'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining room table, find heavy duty Pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters. DOG: Wrap pill in bacon, cheese or peanut butter. Make him beg.

I used to raise persians for show and I bathed them frequently. Of course these were strickly indoor cats. However I have also bathed a few of the mixed breed cats we have now that are stricly indoors. First of all it is much easier to bathe the cat if you are not having is stand in pooled water. I have a laundry tub with a shower attachment on it with an on off button. New kittens get bathed within a few days of comming home and fairly frequently after that. We had a 14 year old long hair that quit cleaning herself that had to be bathed every few weeks or she was disgusting.

Line the tub with a rubber mat with drain holes so kitty can get a grip with back feet. Hold by the scruff and gently push down while turning on the sprayer pointed away from kitty to let get used to the sound. Then wet kitty. Make sure the water is slightly warm on your forearm. Really cold or hot water will make kitty go beserk!! Lather kitty while water is off from neck to tail. Leave head and ears for last as kitty usually goes nuts here as well. I switch from holding the scruff to having my hand behind the head with fingers under the jawbone since holding an adult by the scruff can cause them not to be able to breathe. Rinse well from neck down. Using baby shampoo which rinsed of very quickly lather face and ears. Holding kitty under the jawbone as mentioned above to control the head, take thumb and fold the ear back and rinse well. Water will not get into the ear because of design. Do the same with the other ear. Now get ready for the fun part. In one fluid motion with the sprayer on, cover kitty's nose gently with your index finger and quickly spray off face. Do this for no more than one or two seconds. Let go of sprayer grasp kitty gently and drain water off. Put kitty on towel and wrap him up like a baby. Do not try to blow dry a kitty that has not been trained to this from a kitten. You will find out that they like the dryer MUCH less than the water. Keep kitty warm and hand dry with the towel then let him loose.

Show cats are bathed all the time and this is a humane and gentle way of bathing the cat with the least risk to you. If you start a kitty from a kitten and bathe them regularly they do get used to it and will not go nuts. Cats by nature are clean animals but there are times especially with long hair cats that they should be bathed.

I just hope my cat keeps cleaning itself. I've only had to wash it once or twice when it had some...incidents...with it's litter box. Otherwise it's pretty good. Plus, we let her outside on a leash often enough so she "airs out" :)

Ah, just toss 'em in your dryer with a few Bounce sheets. Come out nice and fresh :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom