Carrying weights on 80 cuf aluminum tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been curious about the new Stealth wing myself. It might be better suited to carrying multiple tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't but I am really only diving AL80s I saltwater as CCR bailout (they are sidemounted). If I am actually using them in this case and the tail(s) ride up I don't care (really I don't) since I am going home as soon as I can (which is up)

You need a lot of lead to hold a near empty AL80 level in salt water. If I am diving SM in warmer waters with no gloves I just front clip it to keep it in trim. In cold water with dry gloves (and the dreaded dry glove rings) I use steel tanks which basically avoids the whole problem - at least for hp100 worthingtons and PSTs. I would avoid faber lp steels in this situation if I could since those tails will ride up.

Putting lead on the tanks makes handling them off a boat a real pain in the butt, especially with dry gloves.

Peter,
I am an open water sidemount diver who primary dives 50 degree-ish freshwater in a drysuit. I put 3 or 4 pounds on AL 80s. I don't like the floating up and hindering my reach to my dump valve (and I am always looking for ways to add weight so I can add more air to keep warm! :)). I have tried placing the inflator hose where the dump valve to address this issue is but I like the hose over the shoulder better. I sidemount with either a Hog 32 wing or a Oxycheq Recon II. If I needed to "gun" the tanks as cave divers or wreck divers do, then I probably wouldn't weight the tanks (nor would I be using such bulky rigs).

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

I put 2# on each tank but after 1Kpsi they creep up still, have to re-clip them to lower their butts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom