Carry on or Check it in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had no worries with my gear getting safely to Australia, even with the many plane transfer I did. I took my reg and computer on the plane and checked everything else. I did however zip tie everything to my bcd, I had heard of many complaints of missing/stolen items during the checks, and didn't want to take any chances. Ironically enough, my wet suit burning in my luggage do to the fact I was a moron and didn't remove the batteries out of my light, didn't seem to alarm anyone.... (odd) however, on my way home, like my husband metioned in a previous post, Perth airport wouldn't allow me to bring my reg on the plane. They also limited the weight amount for all carry-on luggage. In Florida it was 45lbs, and there it went to 15lbs. I believe this was probably do to the heightened security level, this was the day after the train in Spain was bombed. (I even got vacuumed, so sort of explosive material detection thingy) stranger things have happened, but that one goes down on the list

My suggestion would be to carry your reg/computer on with you, everything else can either be rented or bought. Prepare for different changes do to increased security. (I'm sure this is all stuff you already know, seeing how you travel frequently, just leave room for your reg/comp. in you check in stuff just in case)

Best wishes, happy travels

RIDIVER501:
I always carry on my mask and reg...everything else locked in a big pelican case with checked luggage

How do you get away with locking your Big Pelican? Do you use one of the TSA approved locks? I use one of the TSA locks on my bag and have been asked by a TSA agent if it was an approved lock, on my affirmitive answer there was no problem. Prior to the TSA lock I used cable ties.
:eyebrow:

Big LL Bean BackPack: Reg, Mask, Dive Computers (2), Laptop, Shorts, 1 underwear/sox change, travel info files, chargers, power supplies, snack bars, toothpaste/brush, book

Camera Fanny: Camera, extra memory cards

Extra Fanny: batteries, meds, MP3 player, palm pilot, phone, earbuds.

Giant Rolling Duffle: Fins, BC, Wetsuits (2), spare mask, spare reg, booties, spare booties, sandals, snorkel, two shirts, two tee shirts, two nylon pants, 5 bathing suits, toiletries bag, miscellaneous.

Pelikan Case: Camera housing.

They can't take the fanny packs away, so, even though I look like super Dork (or one of the bandits in Treasure of the Sierra Madre) , I know I'll have my batteries and camera handy and they won't be adding to the weight of my checked or "carry on" baggage.

I do carry on the backpack and camera case. I've got a "Bihn Bag" for my laptop that's made to fit inside a backpack. If the pack won't fit in the overhead of a puddle jumper, I just remove the Bihn Bag and stash the computer under the seat. Then the pack will fit in any overhead I've seen.

Regards,

I'll never forget the trip to Mexico where my airline pilot sister got us all standby tickets for next to nothing. Problem was.....can't check bags. Well, we had all of our gear and clothing in two large carry-ons. The flight crew did give us some sideways glances. Everything but flippers, which we rented. We didn't have much to wear, but everything got there for sure! I've been very lucky <knocking on wood> I've never had my bags left behind and that means those trips to PNG too.

Back
Top Bottom