Carry on or Check it in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancrest67

Reaction score
I know there are other threads that dabble with the same subject matter. I am just curios about how others pack for trips to faraway destinations. I have traveled all my life...living and traveling overseas and in the US, but in reference to dive gear...I still get mixed reviews and opinions from others. I either pack my regulator/dive computer and mask with my carry on, or I pack it in with my check in luggage. With post 9/11, what have others experienced moving dive gear around on carry on luggage...security questions, extra screening, delays etc? Securing your more expensive dive gear items with you on carry on or risk it with check in luggage...I have done both with no issues so far.

if my checked luggage is delayed or lost, can I rent/replace what I would need to dive? If you cannot rent or replace it, then it must go as carry on.

This last weekend had a surprisingly large number of people arrive without their checked bags. Two divers had put their referral paperwork in their checked bags putting a real crimp in thier vacation plans. Several others put their c-cards in checked bags and bad luck meant that PADI's Dive Chek online was not accessible do to some sort of web problem. Both are lessons easily learned.

Your c-card must go on your person. Don't even put it in a checked bag! Put it in your pocket, since without that card, your dive vacation isn't.

Make photocopies of your c-card (both sides) and any referral paperwork and put copies in both your carry on and checked bags. Bring the email address, phone and fax number of your instructor/LDS just in case.

Carry on any gear which can't be rented. Prescription masks and unusually small or large fins or wetsuits fit this category too.

My C-card and the credit card are always on me. Everything else can be rented.

My prescription mask goes into checked luggage; well packed in a mask box and surrounded by a wetsuit. Whether or not my reg goes into carryon depends upon what other stuff I'm carrying. Just be reasonably careful in packing it and it will be fine either checked or carryon.

After having my backpack or carryon bag opened and rescreened at various airports, I have started removing the reg bag and sending it through the x-ray machine by itself. It seems to reduce the probability of my bag being pulled for additional screening, and if it is, the follow-up screening goes a lot faster than when the security guy has to paw around until he finds the reg in my carryon.

When traveling for diving, I carry-on my reg, computer and mask, and logbook. No hassles except for an occasional quizical look.

If going on a live-aboard, I add my custom wetsuit to the carry-on.

All the best, James

......my regs/computers are ALWAYS in my carry-on.......I'm going to Bonaire and the Bahamas in the next 2 months, bringing 4 regulators/2 computers......about $4000 worth of stuff total, that definitely isn't leaving my sight!

...I'm new to dive travel, have only been to Mexico so far 3 times last year.......and apparently they get enough traveling divers to recognize regulator sets..........they'll run them through the X-ray and always want to open the carry-on........but once they peek inside they quickly wave me through....no biggie.

Karl

Regs/computer/prescription mask/camera rig - carry on. C-card - in my wallet. The rest checked.

For what it's worth, we always carry our computers and regulators on the plane with us. It's really not that much trouble and the carry on screeners are very accustomed to seeing scuba equipment. I don't want to rent a life supporting device in a third world country.

Of course we always take our c-cards on our person because without them you will not dive at many operators. Conversely, in Key Largo there was an operator that didn't check our cards nor did he even ask if we were certified. He should have at least asked us to spell PADI. :10:

We always carry regs, computers, mask, swimsuit, logbooks, paperwork, camera gear, and C-cards with us. Everything else gets checked. However, there was a thread on another board recently about evidence from several recent travelling divers that TSA screeners had apparently not only opened their checked bags for searches, but also partially disassembled some of the gear inside. Specifically mentioned were inflator hoses, regulator 2nd stages, and BC dump valves. All three were identified when the user got in the water and they malfunctioned. If you have any indication that your bag was searched, give your entire gear set a very thorough once over to make sure it wasn't screwed up.

Aggiediver

yeah- just to add to everyone else- take all your important stuff in a carry on- for me, thats my c-card and my mask (fav with no leaks) and I usually take regs too, just coz they are not too heavy. I will somethings carry lights too as my checked bag was searched one and my carefully wrapped light was left unwrapped- hence a cracked lens. And of course cameras and computers- baggage liability is never that great.
The TSA people usually take a look at your regs in carry on, so be prepared for that, but they are usually nice.

My wife went to australia last summer. The airport made her put her very exspensive reg and computer in her check in. They would not let her bring it with her carryon. Even after she showed them it worked. I have heard there on guns that look like cellphones.

Back
Top Bottom