Carry-on gear bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People trying to slide one over with carry on that's clearly too large/heavy is a pet peeve of mine, disruptive. Last flight a nimwit actually started moving other people's things, without asking, between bins, because he was carrying this gigundo "carry on".
Flight attendants had a few really firm words with him, carted his luggage away.

Personally, too much of a hassle to bother -- my Aeris Reefrider is a small, travel, BC, but still too large to be worth trying to squeeze as carry-on, particular if flights might include some smaller aircraft. BC, fins, wetsuit go checked, along with my pony.

I use a nondescript daypack to hold my regs, computer, camera, mask, that is my carry-on.

I am Jonesing for Stahlsacs.

Gate checking your bag is always an option for people who need a little more control over their stuff. Grab it right when you get off like the stroller mommies. Can't get lost this way and your seatmate won't get all offended. --till I start flapping my down comforter around.

I'm looking to buy a Pelican 1510 case, it's advertised as the largest guaranteed carry-on case on the market.

As a dry box collector (got more than 25 boxes from diferent brands and sizes, from creditcard size to rifle long cases), I have 6 Pelican cases and looking to get the 1510 and the 1660. These cases are top quality and have great service and warranty.

The only draw back that I see in a pelican case is that it doesn't have the expansion feature that my travelpro carry-on bag has, it serves to stash the things I bought on the trip on the same carry-on bag on the way back home.

Carry mask, regs, computer with you and send the rest on an unmarked bag as checked luggage

Deus:
I am looking at the stilletto and it looks like it would fit into a carry on. I am just worried that they will loose my stuff. They do not cover enough value to cover the loss of equipment from what I am told.
I also have a Stilletto, and when it arrived packed from ScubaToys along with a reg it looks like it is packable on a carryon.
But that excludes fins, mask, etc.

Get DAN insurance, I believe one of the plans at least covers lost dive gear.

I looked into the Peli 1510 and similar cases from Storm, but they are pretty heavy even when empty, and seem to attract attention. If I upgrade my video housing, I may end up with one anyhow, but they are not subtle bags.

Pelican cases are not subtle, but as a carry-on, there's no problem with that issue, if the case is big and have to be checked baggage, then a plain bag without markings is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom