Carry-on gear bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
I finally got a travel BC and want to be able to carry my gear ob the plane with me. Wetsuit, BCD, Fins. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good carryon bag for this?

Thank you

You think even with a travel BCD you can get all your gear in a carry on size bag?

Southwest for instance the limit is 10x16x24. I guess it might be possible to get BCD, wet suit, fins, regulator, mask, computer/bottom timer in that space. My plan is to pack the BCD, fins, and wet suit. Carry the regulator, mask and computer in the carry on bag.

You also have to be aware of the fact that if you can't stow your bag when you get on the plane they will make you check it. I intend for my carry on to be able to fit beneath the seat - so I should never have to check my regulator or computer.

Just a thought. I hope you manage to make it all fit - good luck.

I am looking at the stilletto and it looks like it would fit into a carry on. I am just worried that they will loose my stuff. They do not cover enough value to cover the loss of equipment from what I am told.

Insure your stuff. Renters insurance covers mine, but there are a lot of options.

You could definitely get a BP/W and all your stuff in a carryon...maybe not exposure protection, depending how much you need, but for tropical you could probably do it. I've not seen a Stilleto in person, so I don't know about that. The type of fins you have would be another factor.

In any case, just get one of those standard business traveller wheeled bags that are sized to fit carry on. That's probably the cheapest option and your bag wont look like a target for thieves like some SCUBA-specific bags.

FWIW, I check one big bag with all my wife's gear and all of my gear except my BP. The BP and harness go in a bag with the clothes and both come in under 50 pounds. I carry regs, computers, masks on in a small reg bag.

Good luck! :D

Deus:
I finally got a travel BC and want to be able to carry my gear ob the plane with me. Wetsuit, BCD, Fins. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good carryon bag for this?

Thank you
Personally, I have an LL Bean Backpack that I use as my carry on. I carry my 3mm wetsuit, regs, dive computer and mask. Everything else gets checked. I still have room for a change of clothes, some toiletries, and a book or magazine for the trip. You can always rent a BCD and fins if your luggage is late.
C-Dawg

Deus:

Thank you

I used Northwest and United Airlines on my last trip. They both have a limit of 9 inches by 14 inches by 22 inches for carryon, so I got a fairly inexpensive suitcase that fit the bill. Mine was this one from amazon (with free shipping at the time and still now).

Your best bet is probably to find a similar suitcase that matches the restrictions set by the airline you are using and is as light as possible - the fins may not fit. I've seen bigger cases make it onto the plane, but I would not risk it. Also, they often allow a separate personal item, such as a briefcase, camera case or laptop to be brought with the other carryon and if you really need space then you can get a vest or jacket with llots of big pockets and stuff them full as well.

I use a no name roll type bag which I check...insured of course...but it doesn't scream scuba equipment take me!!!

It even made it home in one piece after floating around in the Logan airport luggage area for 2 days!!!

Paul in VT

Took a trip to Fiji and was able to get Oceanic explorer bc, regs, wetsiut, mask w/ spare parts kit. The airline did not have a size requirement, but limited all carryon's to 18lbs. I tried to add a sea and sea camera in a Pelican case but went over on weight. My connections to get me to L.A. ran late I thought I might miss the flight. I ran across LAX got to the counter to hear them calling last call for boarding. Wiped the sweat from my forehead. They asked to see the bag I was carrying, and I told them I was intending to carrying it on. They informed the plane was full and there was no more overhead room. The bag would have to be checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom