Caribbean earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many buildings, hotels, airport etc did evacuate on all the islands. Shore areas were then cleared with the possible tsunami. People in big hotels in GC like Kimpton and RC were directed to top floor. Anyone was allowed to go. A good friend and her 3 month old left her apartment and joined people at The Kimpton. Friends who had just landed were rushed off the flight and joined all of those from Immigration and waiting for bags in an area outside the airport. The people in offices were evacuated. Following all of this as early as Friday disaster management people were already being brought in to give people safety protocols. All in all it is truly incredible how lucky we all are and how well this was managed throughout the islands. There are many who are even saying they will never complain again about how strict the building codes are. The cost of living may be higher here than many other nations but at the end of the day the quality of life is too.

Many buildings, hotels, airport etc did evacuate on all the islands. Shore areas were then cleared with the possible tsunami. People in big hotels in GC like Kimpton and RC were directed to top floor. Anyone was allowed to go. A good friend and her 3 month old left her apartment and joined people at The Kimpton. Friends who had just landed were rushed off the flight and joined all of those from Immigration and waiting for bags in an area outside the airport. The people in offices were evacuated. Following all of this as early as Friday disaster management people were already being brought in to give people safety protocols. All in all it is truly incredible how lucky we all are and how well this was managed throughout the islands. There are many who are even saying they will never complain again about how strict the building codes are. The cost of living may be higher here than many other nations but at the end of the day the quality of life is too.

While it was a serious event, we had a bit of a laugh as well. I was sitting on the beach when the earthquake struck, and my wife was in our apartment. After it was over (we estimated 30-40 seconds) I checked my phone and saw that there was a tsunami alert (only 1-3 feet, so not the worst case). Our property manager came running to the beach to tell everyone to get to high floors just in case, as the beach may not be safe - plus we had a few small sink holes forming on the beach. Meanwhile everyone who had been inside and felt the building swaying and rocking were streaming outside to the beach, as staying inside the building might not be safe, especially if there were more quakes to come. We all ran into each other going the opposite way and had a bit of a laugh once we sorted it out. Staying high inside won.

No reported aftershocks the past day or so, so we are back to living in paradise. Btw, I dove northside the day after the quake and visibility was great - same as before the quake.

We were very lucky. Heard a few people losing their footing. Overall everyone day I’d a great job. Apparently a few places like Harbour House May have issues. They have a sink hole right next to the foundation of their building. We have construction going on right across our canal. My heart went out to the guys laying the new roof when it happened. One friend who was driving didn’t even know it happened.

how well this was managed throughout the islands.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with that. Have you read this article? As soon as the Tsunami warning went out. everyone packed into their cars to get their kids from school and there was immediate gridlock. The premier was quoted in this article “I understand human nature and I understand the natural response to want to have your children with you and look after your children,” he said, noting that “as I looked down at the gridlock of cars outside… had we had a tsunami of any significant proportions, frankly, there would have been hundreds, if not thousands, of people drowned in their cars.”

Premier ‘haunted’ by earthquake reactions | Cayman Compass

Also no warnings at all went out to cell customers on Flow's network. And the police response was a bit confused. We were ordered to move our boat out of Morgan's harbor, which is probably one of the last places a westward-traveling tsunami would have affected.

We had the radio on the alerts were loud and clear. Friends with kids in the International School at CB we’re contacted to get the kids immediately when the earthquake happened. Friends in a Pilates class were told to go get their kids. No one told us what to do with the boats but they didn’t give instructions with cars either. I think the tsunami issue could only be a wait and see. Traffic in GT was a mess but I think that much of that was the normal reaction to get to loved ones. Sadly the news reports are not a place I trust either here or when I lived in New York. They like politicians just love the buzz words.

We had the radio on the alerts were loud and clear. Friends with kids in the International School at CB we’re contacted to get the kids immediately when the earthquake happened. Friends in a Pilates class were told to go get their kids. No one told us what to do with the boats but they didn’t give instructions with cars either. I think the tsunami issue could only be a wait and see. Traffic in GT was a mess but I think that much of that was the normal reaction to get to loved ones. Sadly the news reports are not a place I trust either here or when I lived in New York. They like politicians just love the buzz words.
I think the point was that folks hopping into cars to go get their kids is not a good idea if a tsunami is on the way. The schools should have contingency plans to get the children to higher ground/upper floors. Once the tsunami threat has passed, folks can retrieve their kids. I’m glad no one was hurt and damage was minimal - so this can be a learning on what to do better in the future.

If I recall correctly, the epicenter was only 80 nm away from Brac. If the event created a tsunami, it would have hit before you could ever have hoped to pick up the little ones from school. The velocity of a tsunami is the square root of the depth of the water in meters multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. Cayman Trough is over 7000 m, so the velocity of that tsunami would be the square root of √(7000m × 10m/s squared) = √70000 = 264 meters per second or 590 mph.

Not much time to react.

I have a small dive op and could have easily lost the boat but our experience with warnings and alerts was really good. Been through Sandy in NY, a small earthquake there and in the UK and Oz (that one with tsunami warnings) and so far the most positive experience was here and it was a major event — as was Sandy. That said they improve things all the time. I am just really jaded about what gets reported in newspapers and what politicians say so I am just I guess I just believe more in first hand personal experience rather than those who might ham it up. I was totally disgusted watching South Florida News the evening of the quake seeing all the flying arms and hysteria compared to the reaction of people here. Just getting old and cynical. So I guess I am super lucky that this is where I choose to hang my hat. My home, my kids, my dogs are all good and we just did what we were told. And I have to admit that living on a small flat island I too would have jumped in my car to get my kids or at least tried my hardest to get to them. @Dish you are totally on target. If a tsunami came we would have little recourse The quake and worrying about aftershocks was all we could hope to deal with. A tsunami was totally beyond anyone’s control or ability to predict. We were very blessed and very lucky.

I have a small dive op and could have easily lost the boat but our experience with warnings and alerts was really good. Been through Sandy in NY, a small earthquake there and in the UK and Oz (that one with tsunami warnings) and so far the most positive experience was here and it was a major event — as was Sandy. That said they improve things all the time. I am just really jaded about what gets reported in newspapers and what politicians say so I am just I guess I just believe more in first hand personal experience rather than those who might ham it up. I was totally disgusted watching South Florida News the evening of the quake seeing all the flying arms and hysteria compared to the reaction of people here. Just getting old and cynical. So I guess I am super lucky that this is where I choose to hang my hat. My home, my kids, my dogs are all good and we just did what we were told. And I have to admit that living on a small flat island I too would have jumped in my car to get my kids or at least tried my hardest to get to them. @Dish you are totally on target. If a tsunami came we would have little recourse The quake and worrying about aftershocks was all we could hope to deal with. A tsunami was totally beyond anyone’s control or ability to predict. We were very blessed and very lucky.
Did you actually read the article? There was nothing out of line or sensationalized in it - just recognition that some work needs to be done so that folks are better prepared in the future.

For example, better knowledge of the plans to keep children in schools safe so parents don’t feel the need to hit the roads to retrieve their kids - where they would likely perish if there actually was a significant tsunami.

The article was not critical to me - just reflecting on how folks handled it and how they can learn and keep people even safer in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom