Caribbean earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So with all the coronavirus craziness, what's the last thing we need? A 4.7 quake about 30 miles offshore. We had just turned our dive at Trinity Caves this afternoon, down about 60 feet when the quake hit. We heard a loud boom, and the DM and I looked up, as it sounded like someone doing a stride entry off a boat - except that it was about 10 times louder, we were not near our boat, and only one other shop is operating and they were nowhere to be seen. The next thing that went through my mind was that is was some kind of explosion, but then we heard a second boom a couple of seconds later, so that did not make sense. And then I guessed an earthquake. The DM and I looked at each other, shrugged and continued the dive. Everything else was normal after that, except that I kept hearing what sounded like someone on our boat lowered a speaker into the water and was playing steel drum reggae. That continued for about 10 minutes. When we got back on board, we verified that it was a quake. Pretty cool, all in all, plus we saw some nurse sharks, eagle rays, lobsters, and the usual cast of characters. The second dive was relatively uneventful.

Back
Top Bottom