Caribbean/Central America liveaboard recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally am not a sailor, but I have been invited aboard by both Liza and John when he owned her. Big salon, big cabins, big heavy hull.

We have a really great deal going on the Belize Aggressor IV but it's not until May of 2018 but the discount is $895 per person off the regular price. A few SB folks already on it.

When I read the OP's request I also thought of the Caribbean Explorer. It is a mid-priced liveaboard and diving the seamounts around Saba is a unique experience. You will also have the opportunity for land excursions in places like St. Martin, St. Kitts, and Saba.

I also thought of the new Roatan Aggressor that is being offered at introductory discount prices. I've done 2 land-based trips to Roatan and I thought that the reefs were lovely but overfished - but a liveaboard can visit the best, most pristine sites. I also didn't care for the voracious mosquitoes and sand fleas, but that wouldn't be a problem on a liveaboard, so a liveaboard might be the best way to visit the Honduran out islands.

Last edited:
When I read the OP's request I also thought of the Caribbean Explorer. It is a mid-priced liveaboard and diving the seamounts around Saba is a unique experience. You will also have the opportunity for land excursions in places like St. Martin, St. Kitts, and Saba.

We did that boat last year and loved it. An older boat for sure but great crew and food and we really liked the diving.

Every now and then one of our Bahamas vessels will make a down island trip. This is typically when a group charters 2 weeks back to back and sometimes they need help filling the space. During these trips we can make it down to Georgetown and visit some remote areas along the way with stops to Cat Island and Little San Salvador. Right now we have one of these trips scheduled on the Aqua Cat for October 20-November 3, 2018. There is an option to do the full 2 weeks or join us for one week (changeover is in Georgetown on 10/27).

The Cuan Law is our liveaboard in the BVIs departing in and out of Tortola. There is a new unique wreck to check out, the Kodiak Queen. It is a new project by Sir Richard Branson. This video shows the vessel being prepared and the Kraken coming to life.

I would think that Sir Richard would have preferred to not cause such a large sheen on the water.....

Even if Juliet offers fewer dives, (they don't), do not overlook them. Juliet goes where no one else does, and their itinerary going down old Bahama channel is second to none. I used to dive many of their sites (Thanks, guys, for sharing your mooring numbers) on my way to Cay Sal, and they are just not dived by anyone else. The price is very reasonable, and I'm told that the crew is awesome. I get along well with those I know (Liza, Chris), and have shared crew with them in the past.

Wookie, how would you rate the dives the Juliet's trip does relative to some of the other destinations mentioned in this thread (or by second to none are you answering that question vs. rating their itinerary against other local options, as I first interpreted it)?

Peter

The Turks/Caicos boats (Explorer or Aggressor) might be an option. I did 25 dives on the Explorer a few years ago and sat at least one out - maybe 2.

Direct flight from Charlotte to Provo (PLS), a crew member will be waiting at the airport. They'll shuttle you to the boat - or drop you for lunch then your gear to the boat - there's typically a 2nd later flight in.

They dive a few days around Provo then move across the channel to West Caicos for deeper wall diving. You don't have to do it - I solo'ed quite a bit and 60' is my max for that - I don't feel like I missed much. The last stop is French Cay which has to be one of the naturally sharkiest spots (including the Bahamas) that I've ever dove. Every dive there were several - sometimes more than that. Plus I counted 24-25 Stingrays on one dive - most while doing a safety stop near the mooring.

I spent 20mins. of one dive filming the interactions around one coral head - the baby fish, feather dusters, small invertebrates that all lived on it. There's no real wrecks though - just a small plane we didn't look for and an encrusted engine block that fell off a boat. You also do a couple of drift dives in one area.

Nice boat, good crew - we chose the Explorer over the Aggressor solely based on price - took advantage of a $400 discount on a spring trip. Several times the Aggressor was on the next mooring over. Our boat had one extra deck (covered flybridge with seating) which meant the majority of cabins were main deck or above - Aggressor's are all below deck. Big room also, two twins, small end table - a 4' desk in one corner and a decent sized closet IIRC - even 2 windows (not portholes). The only bunks on Explorer are the 3-4 below deck cabins and they're ensuite also. It's not a new boat but the crew told us it was originally built as a liveaboard - not converted from something else. Even the bathrooms were decent sized.

Year of Savings Specials - Explorer Ventures - might find something that works for you.

Also both boats do whalewatching at Silver Banks from about Jan-Apr - no diving.

Besides all the options listed at aggressor.com - here's a few other boats I haven't seen mentioned yet. All are Bahamas operations afaik.

Cat Ppalu - same company as Blackbeards.
Lost Island Voyages
Dolphin Dream

I saw the Cuan Law once - it's huge - dwarfed our 45' dive boat. Plus the whole deck between the hulls is for hanging out.

I'd rate the diving in the BVI's maybe a step down though - although it might be a good option for you being shallower - there's not a lot of depth anywhere. The Rhone is a good wreck and there's a small wreck alley - one natual the rest placed. Most dives I don't think we broke 60'. What's nice about the BVI's is they're an hour ferry ride from St. Thomas - which has lots of Saturday flights since it's a cruise port.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom