Carib Dancer trip report November 10th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the reports I'm not surprised about the engine fire on the Carib Dancer.

As for the diving in the Bahamas, I did a week long trip with Blackbeards recently and had a great time. Yes, the marine life was much sparser than in the western Caribbean, but as a marine biologist I looked at this as a challenger... to look for the causes of what I presumed were a decline (having never dived there before). The shallow water and position in the hurricane belt offered one explanation, the lionfish predating (I used to pre-date, too) on herbivores another. I wasn't aware of the die off in the Diadema urchins but now that it has been mentioned, it certainly helps explain the presence of the algae on the reefs (along with the loss of herbivorous fish).

Of course for those looking to view and film abundant marine life, this is an important issue. For me it was a challenging ecological puzzle. I greatly prefer diving the more diverse waters of Asia than the Caribbean.

..... position in the hurricane belt offered one explanation, the lionfish predating (I used to pre-date, too) on herbivores another.

Did you pre-date herbivores? I've generally found you not to be so picky..... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom