Carib Dancer trip report November 10th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These have been some incredible posts. Even if I discount half of the complaints, the other half, especially the toilet issues, skimpy food and the company's response are incredible. The company needs to post and better explain and respond if it expects my business. I have been interested in diving the bahamas on a LOB and have looked at both ExV and Carib Dancer. Frankly, after reading these posts, I may reconsider a LOB option altogether. I would be interested in hearing more about the quality of the diving. I would have expected the diving to be in less dived sites with less damage and marine life degradation. Can you share more info on why the diving itself was so disappointing. Thanks.

These have been some incredible posts. Even if I discount half of the complaints, the other half, especially the toilet issues, skimpy food and the company's response are incredible. The company needs to post and better explain and respond if it expects my business. I have been interested in diving the bahamas on a LOB and have looked at both ExV and Carib Dancer. Frankly, after reading these posts, I may reconsider a LOB option altogether. I would be interested in hearing more about the quality of the diving. I would have expected the diving to be in less dived sites with less damage and marine life degradation. Can you share more info on why the diving itself was so disappointing. Thanks.

If you want some Bahamas diving, look at the Aqua Cat out of Nassau or the Explorer boat that runs out of Turks & Caicos or their boat that does the St. Martan to St. Kitts route with great diving at Saba. IMO Aggressor/Dancer has changed for the worse in the past 2-3 years. I've done several of their boats, but never again. Also look at the Spree out of Key West for the Dry Tortuga route. The Spree isn't luxury, but is great value for the $$.

Or try the Racio del Mar in the northern Sea of Cortez. Fly to Pheonix, van pool to Puerto Penasco in Mexico. It's a seasonal trip, but a good one that a reasonable price including airfare.

RangerC375 sums it all up with this line "DO NOT GO ON THIS BOAT, DO NOT GO TO THIS DESTINATION. ITS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY." I unfortunately was talked into going on this ship in December 2012 mostly because I have been on several other Aggressor and Dancer ships and they were great. Aggressor/Dancer has a reputation for running great ships to great places but the Carib Dancer is neither.
Even if the trip was FREE it would still have been a waste of time. There were a few nice walls but absolutely NO fish, unless you count the dozens and dozens and dozens of Lionfish we saw on every single dive. I skipped at least three or four of the dives during the week because the sites sucked or we already dove them out. Most dives I did not even bother to take my camera as it was obvious there was not going to be anything worth taking a picture of. Hands down, the worst liveaboard experience in my 25+ years of diving.

I believe you Carlos. I just don't think the diving around parts of the Bahamas is very good. I was on the AquaCat this past July. GREAT boat, GREAT food, GREAT crew, diving just so-so at best. Some of the areas like Eleuthera have been totally devastated by a crusty like green algae. Had covered everything. Almost no fish life in this area. I think there will be a time when the AC will have a hard time selling that destination because of the poor diving conditions.

I think there will be a time when the AC will have a hard time selling that destination because of the poor diving conditions.

BDSC: I totally agree with you. The AC is a great boat and Capt. Mark is top notch, but the northern half of the Bahamas is the pits for diving. The last time I did the AC was 2008 and, although I love the boat, I'll not be going back unless they change itineraries. Liveaboards depend on repeat customers and I can't see how the boat is going to make it long term.

I love to see Cuba get opened for US divers. I hope the lion fish haven't destroyed the reef life there yet.

but the northern half of the Bahamas is the pits for diving. The last time I did the AC was 2008 and, although I love the boat, I'll not be going back unless they change itineraries. Liveaboards depend on repeat customers and I can't see how the boat is going to make it long term.I love to see Cuba get opened for US divers. I hope the lion fish haven't destroyed the reef life there yet.

I was really shocked when we dove there. I had read so many reports about the AquaCat and how great and pristine the diving was so we were surprised when we actually saw what the diving was like. In no way is it the fault of the boat and crew of course because they have no control over what's beneath the sea. And again the AC itself is wonderful but the diving is not. Would love to see them do the three Cayman Islands or like you said, if Cuba could open up that would be great and maybe the AC could do that area.

I think it's been pretty much established that the Aggressor/Carib Dancer is the pits. Been there, done that miserable trip. Done dozens of liveaboards.....Carib Dancer by far the worst ever!! I have not been on Aqua Cat. I have been on numerous liveaboards and from the reviews, it appears that Aqua Cat is right on the money for customer service. But the reefs were bare....no fish. I'm sure they do more sites than Carib Dancer did. Still....can't imagine a load of fishlife that we missed. Perhaps they should look at a new itinerary. South Exumas was excellent. We did it out of Georgetown, Great Exuma on Explorer Adventures.

Check out the Juliet. www.sailjuliet.com I loved this boat.

Tha Carib Dancer hits the same dive sites as the Aquacat. I dive on the Aquacat at least once a year, and you can not compare how those reefs were in 2008 to how they are now. Some of the divesites around the Exumas are starting to look like a barren wasteland in many areas. I would attribute this to the ongoing damage caused by the spread of network algae (perpetuated by the die off of Diadema Long Spined Sea Urchins), as well as the devastating impact of Lionfish invasion. I really enjoy the customer service on the Aquacat, and Nassau is easy for me to get to, but every year it seems like I am getting less bang for my buck due to the dwindling fish life.

Carib Dancer had an engine fire the other day and one of the 2 engines are cooked. All trips were cancelled until repairs can be done.

Back
Top Bottom