Careers in diving..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla- at first I thought you were warning metalive about posts by myself and the others you listed! Good thing I read the entire sentence and post. Just teasing.

I went the academic route, starting my career by teaching marine biology on SCUBA in the late 60's (at the time some of my students were better divers than I was but they lived in California and I had come from Chicago and Boston). Later I got my Ph.D. so I could teach at university level, conduct my research and have credibility when writing and producing underwater videos.

I have not been interested in SCUBA instruction (DM or instructor level) due to the potential lliability issues involved. I think many of the younger folks who end up in that area are not fully aware of the potential financial consequences should something go wrong (or a student THINKS something went wrong).

Being a scientist with some recognition in my field (at least m,y dive buddies recognize me!), I also get interesting opportunities including diving, gathering underwater video and "lecturing" in board Lindblad Expedition "cruise ships" in the Sea of Cortez, Belize and Honduras.

If you go my route, be sure it is truly your passion. I don't make a lot of money doing what I do (at least not yet). Fortunately I did make some in other career areas in the past. However I truly enjoy what I'm doing and I think as long as the basic economic needs are met, that is very important.

Good luck whatever direction you head.

Dr. Bill

ah-ha, I see
well "nice" diving isn't necessarly the thing I'm hoping to do. The main thing is diving, being underwater, the thrill.
I don't mind getting dirty, but if one is required to be as strong as a weightlifter to get any job in diving, then I'm probably out already.

It's hard to imagine that, like pipedope says, all practical diving jobs are badly paid.:wacko:

hmm.. let me think

are poorly paid.

The fewer people who want, or are willing, to do a particular job the more likely it will pay well.

Getting to the good paying jobs in the offshore diving industry is a long rough road. A good resource;
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/

Skill is more important than size.
The more things you know and can do the more work you will get and the greater chance of getting into one of those really nice jobs that have good diving and good pay.

Did DMing / Instructing for several months in thailand / cyprus - I enjoyed it but wouldn't do it full time myself as if anything goes wrong and you cant dive again you've little to fall back on. I'd deff recommend it myself as a way of funding travelling for a while.

NOAA provides a good opportunity to put away money while working at sea. You live on the boat and meals are provided. Entry level jobs start about 22K plus overtime.

You can usually get dive training after a year, when a slot opens. Divers are crew that have other jobs and dive on an as needed basis.

The class I vessels travel all over the world. The ships are based on the east and west coast, Alaska and Hawaii There is a lot of turnover due to the long periods at sea. Last ship I was on, we were doing 260 days a year at sea. You're working 7 day weeks so the money is good.

Salaries top out at about 40k base for chief Bos'n and chief Survey tech. Chief Engineer (the head mechanic and a lot more) makes over 100k, he's not eligible for OT.

http://www.moc.noaa.gov/emp_ops.htm

I would suggest divemastering for awhile at a tropical resort.

the pay isn't great but its lots of fun taking care of the people.

I personally had a ball divemastering both day and night.

Julie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom