Career Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Dogtooth:

While it true that it isn't easy out there in the destination hotel/tourism business, it isn't easy out there for almost everything.... everywhere. There is a reason that trade school enrollments are up even though job opportunities are hard to find. No matter how bad it is, there are always some people who make it as newbees in virtually every field.

You are the only person who knows the answer to the most important question, "Is a dive related career a long standing passion or just one of many possible alternatives to what you are doing now?" If it is a driving passion, follow Sea Lion One's advice and find a way... There is nothing better than being able to make a living doing something you love so much it doesn't feel like you are working! People with skills and passion rarely go unrecognized or unemployed for long.

If on the other hand it is just a thought you are bouncing around and you are in absolutely no hurry, I would recommend you dive a lot, do advanced recreational courses that increase your basic diving experience and expose you to the full range of diving activity and dive training. After Advanced Open Water, I recommend you complete the Peak Performance Bouyancy, Night Diving, Deep, Navigation and Nitrox specialties. That will give you essential skills and a broad overview of diving.

If you make a career of recreational diving you are going to do a lot more than just teach open water classes. As Jupiter 31 very aptly pointed out, you will be expected to bring some combination of sales, seamanship, environmental guide, photo instructor, videographer and Mr. Fixit skills to the table. You won't have to do it all, but you need to bring something or somethings essential to the business considering hiring you over your competition. You will have to do quite a bit more than just show up for class, pool and dive sessions with students.

Another consideration is family status. Are you in a place in your life where you can "do your own thing?" If no, you are looking at either a metropolitan area large enough to support a dive store or a destination resort. These are by far the locations where most new instructors land. However, if the answer is yes, the universe of possibilities is much larger than if you have to worry about supporting or being with a family. If you don't have anything tying you down to a specific location and have a life that allows you to be very mobile, consider becoming a dive officer on a mega-yacht. The starting pay is more than douoble the typical starting pay of a resort based dive instuctor and, if you transition to a tract that leads to Captain, the pay is substantial. The average pay for mega-yacht Captains is $1,000 per foot. Captain a 200 foot mega-yacht and your pay should be +/-$200,000... Really. It may take 10 years to get there, but -- if it works with your lifestyle -- I can be a very exciting and lucrative career. It can also be a lonely one if you are the kind of person who needs roots, easy access to friends/family and familiar surroundings. There are a large number of Mega Yacht Captains that broke into the industry as dive control officers who became tender pilots, bridge crew, first mates and finally captains.

Other routes to consider depend on your current job skills. Four examples that come to mind are 1) If you are a capable saleman, you can become a manufacturer's rep. It is a hard job but a successful salesperson can make it in any field. 2) If you are an engineer, you can look into working for the design or quality control divisions of a manufacturer. 3) If you are a talented videographer you can transition to shooting underwater features and documentaries. And 4) If you are a police or fireman you can become a public safety/search and resue diver.

While the lions share of the discussion almost always centers on the traditional "become an instructor and work in a dive shop or resort" there are plenty of alternative routes to consider.

I hope I have provided you with some "food for thought!"

Last edited:
Hey, if you're already broke you'll find a way. We only live for so long. My mantra is " Never look back and say I wish I'd done that." Go for it and don't look back. Good Luck!

Stay in forums Dogtooth! This is a great place for networking, which could do nothing but help you in the future.

Hey, if you're already broke you'll find a way. We only live for so long. My mantra is " Never look back and say I wish I'd done that." Go for it and don't look back. Good Luck!

I'm with Licensed to Creel on this one. What was that famous quote about only regretting the things that you DIDN'T do?

I've met many people who'd chosen a career change or a career break in diving for different reasons. As far as I know, most of them have happily continued or changed directions within diving or went back to their "normal" lives.

While it's important to analyse the pros and cons and consider some serious matters such as finance, the state of the industry, etc. etc., you could spend the rest of your life over-analysing and talking yourself out of doing things.

Whether it's a new job, a great career opportunity or just simply a change of lifestyle, I wish you all the best.

Back
Top Bottom