Caracolillo? Where is this dive site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clevie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking through my dive log from last years Cozumel trip, I have this site written down as our 2nd dive one day.
I can't seem to find any reference to it. I am guessing it might be a local reference to a small part of another site.

Any ideas? Of course I could also have it spelled wrong, so if we could go with the "sounds like..." :)

I googled it and apparently there is a reef some are calling caracolillo- not sure where it is and have never heard of it. I saw a video of DWM going there- i'm sure someone on here has more info.

Caracolilo is one of those sites that should receive more visitors -- it is a good one with lots to see and can be a first or second tank site. Though I've been there many times, I can't tell you where it is -- I'm not a boat captain and I haven't asked. As I recall, it is not a long boat run from town.

Thanks, I guess when I am there next week I will have to request to go again and pay attention to what it might be near so I can identify its general location :)

Caracolilo is one of those sites that should receive more visitors -- it is a good one with lots to see and can be a first or second tank site. Though I've been there many times, I can't tell you where it is -- I'm not a boat captain and I haven't asked. As I recall, it is not a long boat run from town.

can you at least tell whether it is North or South? Mid-Island?

can you at least tell whether it is North or South? Mid-Island?

It's south - that much I know. 1st dive I have down as Palancar wall (? need to log things better), and we had people from the AIs down south that day, so it can't be very far from them. The only day we could go to Paraiso was when we didn't have divers from the southern AIs. I know we didn't backtrack, so it can't be north of the northernmost southern resort. LOL - it makes sense to me. I'm just trying to know Cozumel a bit better.

We did one one once at a reef the DM called the no name reef. It was by the c-53 wreck, because half did the reef and half did the wreck- i'm intrigued. Maybe in may when they say where do you want to go i will yell out carocillilo-and see what kinda weird looks i get-lol

We did one one once at a reef the DM called the no name reef. It was by the c-53 wreck, because half did the reef and half did the wreck- i'm intrigued. Maybe in may when they say where do you want to go i will yell out carocillilo-and see what kinda weird looks i get-lol

+1

That's what the old Scuba Mau shop called it. No idea where we were, other than south of Villa Blanca, and north of Palancar.

Caracolillo is another Dalila, Dalila..
First, I dived a site toward the northern end of Punta Sur. Caracolillo, for the spiraling swimthroughs in one of the coral heads.
Today I learned that there is also one near Palancar Gardens, named Caracolillo, for the strangely shaped tree marking its location from the shore. That's the one Deb must be referring to, as I understand Aqua Safari named it.

The mystery continues...

Caracolillo is another Dalila, Dalila..
First, I dived a site toward the northern end of Punta Sur. Caracolillo, for the spiraling swimthroughs in one of the coral heads.
Today I learned that there is also one near Palancar Gardens, named Caracolillo, for the strangely shaped tree marking its location from the shore. That's the one Deb must be referring to, as I understand Aqua Safari named it.
The mystery continues...

Maybe the southern one is Caracolillo (with two L's in the suffix) -- little caracol?
The Caracolilo that I know is named for the plant of the same name. And yes, it would be the more northerly one. I guess I need to ask a boat captain its location... There's a big space between Cedral and the Palancar system and I'm thinking it may be there.

Back
Top Bottom