Car rental for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen all types of rentals come through. The funniest being what we call the 'Korean rollerskates' being the Kia Picanto type car carrying 4 divers and full equipment. An amazing feat of packing if ever I saw one! The feedback being that it will just make the bridge with the engine screaming.

These cars are probably ok for a couple and then you should probably start looking for slightly larger vehicles with larger groups. 4 divers and SUV or a pick up truck. and anything over that look at a combination of a truck and people carrier type or SUV.

Like Jeep guy says, invest in a cheap tarp if you get a normal car and depending on which Dive op you're using some of them will provide you with a plastic crate to keep your equipment in, free of charge.

Of all the divers i have met I have never heard of a rental company charging for additional cleaning fees but of course you have to use a bit of common sense when handing the vehicle back. Again ask the dive op and they will probably be more than happy to give the vehicle a hose down if it should need it.

Whatever you choose, have fun on both islands and I'm happy to see that you chose to stay longer on the 'better' island!:wink:

These cars are probably ok for a couple and then you should probably start looking for slightly larger vehicles with larger groups.

The back gets a little cramped with 4 tanks already, I wouldn't want to try 6. A truck's tailgate is way more convenient for gearing on and off, too, although that's more relevant on Bonaire where most sites have no amenities.

This does not make shore diving in Curacao sound like much fun. What gives over there?

This does not make shore diving in Curacao sound like much fun. What gives over there?
On the contrary, many (most of the 'popular') sites have an operator that provides toilets, fresh water showers, some sort of food, tank rentals, and beach chairs. That plus white sand beaches, no waves, and no scuba police make Curacao a lot of fun.

I've never had a problem returning a car with sand in the trunk, and even when I took the key fob diving with me, there wasn't a problem. I'm headed back in December and can't wait !

Lack of ironshore certainly takes a lot of excitement out. All that sand, eww!

and, there are pigs!!!!

30123941_10156125042306221_3261208804322181120_o.jpg
30124511_10156125043921221_3758954720329203712_o.jpg

What price have you been all been paying? I just went through kayak and got 177-187 for a small car for the week. I am wondering if I can do better.

FYI I remember Bonaire having signs at the rental agencies that divers must rent a truck or a 100 cleaning fee would be assessed. I still rented the car but was just extra careful about the sand in the trunk. Curacao rental agencies didn't do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom