Car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting.

I have owned a couple of cars with the chipped ignition key. A plain metal key has almost always been provided when we bought the car. It doesn't start the car but it would unlock the door.

Last year our FOB was part of the key. That being said it didn't work from previous renters diving with it so I just put the key in my board shorts pocket under my dive skin.

We use one of those "beach bank" waterproof cases. The one we use is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. We don't smoke so there is plenty of room for cash, ID, driving permit, credit card, and a couple of keys.

One of us wears it around the neck and underneath wet suit or skin. It makes a funny looking rectangular bulge but it keeps our stuff dry and safe.

I've got a couple of small waterproof boxes. Just wondered what people generally did.

And KathyV, I'm a worn out tired old fat man, so I've already for plenty of funny looking bulges. One more won't mater. ;D

The beach banks come in many sizes and if you want to bring something electronic with you (like your phone) I would secure it in a zip lock bag (maybe 1 of them) before putting it in the beach bank. I don't recall ever having one leak - but there's always that chance!

I have heard the suggestion to have a non electronic valet style key made, one that won't start the vehicle, but will unlock the door.

That way you can leave the real key safely locked inside the dry vehicle, and just carry the metal door-only key on the dive.

I have heard the suggestion to have a non electronic valet style key made, one that won't start the vehicle, but will unlock the door.

That way you can leave the real key safely locked inside the dry vehicle, and just carry the metal door-only key on the dive.

Did you notice where this is posted? My understanding is that if you lock your truck on Bonaire, you can expect to be buying a new window. The rule is: unlocked, windows open, nothing of value inside.

I don't really want to leave the key in the rental truck so it can be driven away once they break out the window...

One of these: Witz from LeisurePro

For day dives, take the batteries out of a dive light and use that.

The Witz is probably good to about 3 feet. If you dive deeper than that, I'd go with suggestion two. Add a small lead weight to make it negative.

Did you notice where this is posted? My understanding is that if you lock your truck on Bonaire, you can expect to be buying a new window. The rule is: unlocked, windows open, nothing of value inside.

I don't really want to leave the key in the rental truck so it can be driven away once they break out the window...

No I actually did not notice the thread's forum.

So, specific to Bonaire:
We will only rent the 4 door trucks, and not the "Free Upgrade" SUV's that have electronic keys, and don't make useful dive vehicles ( especially for tall folks and larger groups) anyway.

If the key has a fob we remove it, hide the fob in the dash, and carry the key with us.
My brother went so far as to hide the fob inside the dash, right beside the steering column, where it remained all week.
With it there, the regular key starts the vehicle.

---------- Post added September 30th, 2014 at 06:02 AM ----------

If I am forced into a rental vehicle on some future Bonaire trip, where we are stuck with an electronic key, without a removable fob, I will find a spot I can reach up behind the dash, where I can hang or set the key.

An unlocked truck, with nothing left in it to attract attention makes an unlikely target, barring theft of tire or battery. I strongly believe that Bonaire petty criminals aren't interested in targeting a vehicle for fine searching when there are no items of value they can quickly grab when they check your truck out. A quick search to see if you were dumb enough to hide your wallet under the seat, sure.
But to reach up and feel all around behind the dash doesn't fit the profile of the Bonaire petty grab and run.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom