Car keys when shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I'd like to return and find my door handle ripped off. Lol

How big is this? Will it hold more than just a key?

Might be handy for some of the travel that I do.
MKLB-2T.jpg

You can also probably find a location under the car where you could place the lock box. Hopefully this picture gives you an idea on size?

Thanks
Dano

I have a van the has the fob in the key. Ziplock bag under drysuit works for me. It's nice to not have to dig for a key (although I've done that). Our van has "hands free" so you just tip your toe under the doors and they open.

I can't imagine anyone here has ever washed their electronic key fob only to find out it works after you dry it out? Getting slightly damp under my drysuit (worst case) is probably better than getting immersed in the washer on spin?

But I'm sure nobody's made that mistake:)....

The prox key for my Subaru is blocked by a double-layer of aluminum foil. I take the valet key out, wrap the fob in foil and leave it in the driver side door. Lock door via an inside door lock button and close, take valet key with me on the dive. The only problem is the alarm goes off when you open the door with the valet key, hence leaving the fob readily accessible so I can quickly unwrap it and turn the alarm off.

Alternatively, if it's daytime and I can discretely do it, I'll stick a rare earth magnet in the tinfoil/key burrito and stick it somewhere up under the car, so I can later unlock via the fob after diving and not get blasted by the alarm and drip saltwater in the car.

View attachment 616274

You can also probably find a location under the car where you could place the lock box. Hopefully this picture gives you an idea on size?

Thanks
Dano

+1 on hiding this. The "LockPickingLawyer" on youtube demonstrates time and time again how trivial it is to defeat this type of lock. Seriously, after watching one of his videos only one time through, I went out to my garage and decoded a combo lock that I had for years but forgot the combo for. It's scary easy.

All else aside, that LockPickingLawyer channel is infinitely watchable. Dude has over a thousand videos. I don't even care about lockpicking, at all, but his soothing voice and methodical approach to defeating locks is just what I need to unwind sometimes.

While diving the St. Lawrence River I have always used a valet key. Simple and effective.

Some cars that have proximity sensors don't secure the car with a fob/key in/near it....

You can buy Faraday pouches on Amazon that block the signal so you can lock your fob inside the car.

I have my second one in a bag inside my suitcase so when I am traveling I can lock the car with my second set inside the suitcase.

I’ve used my valet key a couple of times a bit differently. I gave it to the valet, he parked my car while I went diving. I also ate dinner and spent the week at the hotel.

I figure if your truck is locked and someone really wants to get in they’ll just smash a window. Leave them down and they either leave your truck alone or maybe check the glove box and move on.
I have a soft top Jeep.... there is nothing I leave in the car that costs more than a new soft top, so it stays unlocked. 1/2 the year it stays door-less!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom