Captain Slates Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vapovick

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a hats off to the staff at Captain Slates in Key Largo. I just got back and had a wonderful time. I felt the staff was very professional and friendly. They helped out from start to finish. And made it for a very enjoyable trip. We dove the Benwood, Christ of the Abyss and Cary Fort. Water was nice 77 and air was about 84. Second day the seas were a little rough, had a few snorklers aboard who got sick. And the staff did everything they could to ensure the confort of those guests. I will certinally dive with them again. I am thinking of my next trip down there. And will book with them. Cant wait to go back !!!!!

./vapovick

I have been on dives with Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Center and also had a great time. I assume the Captain Slate's must be Amy's ex.

I have seen video of him feeding fish underwater and removing his reg. and putting fish in his mouth and letting the big cuda's take it out of his mouth.

Yes, Amy Slates is his ex. I have heard while I was down there that they are shutting down, and a resort or something will be built on the property. But this is only hear-say.

vapovick:
Yes, Amy Slates is his ex. I have heard while I was down there that they are shutting down, and a resort or something will be built on the property. But this is only hear-say.

amy or Capt?

dive4funOften:
amy or Capt?

Sorry all, Amy's.. Now this is what I heard while I was down there, not sure on the real-ness of it.. I saw here place and it did not look like it was going away..

UPDATE

I emailed Amy Slate's and got the following response.

Hi,

No, we are not going anywhere. Amy has not decided to sell. Business is doing great and we are here to stay. I am glad that you have stayed here in the past and I hope you come to stay with us again soon. Thanks for your concern and I look forward to hearing from you.

Jessica Organ
Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort
104250 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037
1.800.4Amoray (426.6729)
305.451.3595/fax 305.453.9516
www.amoray.com/amoraydive@aol.com

Good news as far as I am concerned. :D

Just returned from my second trip to the Keys, again I dove with Capt. Slates and had a great time. Dove the Grove and it was awsome. also did the city of washington at night, got to see my first nurse shark, and some coral feeding. we held our lights out and the worms would get close, then we would "fan" them over to the flower coral, and it would suck them up. pretty cool..

Just returned from Key Largo and dove with Amoray. What a zoo. 50 people and crew on their boat. (Gives new meaning to the term "cattle boat".) A mixture of snorkelers, newbies, nitrox classes. I would have been better off with a tank and a jet ski - I would have had more room. Second day I book with Amoray was a scheduled trip to the Spiegle. Got there and found out that the boat was broke and wasnt going out. I had to learn that from the guest. They did set me up with Kellys Aqua Nuts which turned out to be 100% better dive operation the Amoray even though they did not do the Spiegle.

One more note: A bad day of diving still beats being on land.

That sux.. the only reason we're going down there is to dive the Spiegle.
And I just checked Amy's site.
It says "Maximum of 6 people." http://www.amoray.com/Just in Time.html
And the picture is of a little ski-type boat that couldn't possibly fit 50 folks.
So, either their boat was down and they had to borrow a larger boat, or they just added a new, larger boat to their "fleet". Anyone else have any ideas?

Either way, if their site guarantees a max of 6, they should have made some sort of reconciliation with you if they had to shift you to a cattle boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom