Capt. Slate's Atlantis Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll never dive Slate, not because the boat, diving, or crew are sub-par; they are par. however, it was a cattle boat, crowded, stepping on each other gearing up. (you really had to be careful that someone didn't drop weights on your foot.) Maybe I just hit a bad day with them. The DM, (I won't mention any names) really played the Mr. bossy Macho role, maybe because there were a couple of beauties on board, or maybe that's just his way. My $.02

Barracuda2

Barbara runs a great operation IMO. Even if you don't use Divers City, check them out when your down there, i think you will like what you see. They are just down the road from TDC as i recall.

I've never chartered through TDC, so have no experience with them.

murphdivers286:
My and I are going to be in Key Largo on June 6 through June 13. We have made Reservations at the Tavernier Hotel for $290.00 for 7 nights. Not bad. Hotel is old, and does not have a pool, but the people seamed to be nice. My wife and I got a chance to visit the hotel while we were down there for my AOW and it was OK. We can deal with no pool.

We received a coupon for Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center at Oceanfest. The coupon is good for 10 dives for $179.00.

We would like to know if anyone have any personal knowledge about the dive center. We would appreciate any input. Thank You!!!!

:06:
PADIPRO (from the board) and I just dove with Capt Slate's on Tuesday. We have used them in the past couple of months as well. They have several nice boats, courteous staff, and are very helpful. The DM was great (we were in full tech gear). They will do multiple dives on the same wreck if everyone is in agreement. Their latest boat is fast, so you spend less time getting to the site. It's big, so you have enough room to gear up. I can't say anything but accolades for Capt Slates.

We planned on doing two penetration dives on the Spiegel Grove, but by our choice, we did the second dive on the Bentwood. The current was ripping the other day on the Grove, but the vis was great. Unfortuneatly, I had my backup fins, which are inadequate in that strong of a current. It wasn't a problem inside the ship, but I didn't enjoy navigating the outside with them. So we went to the second dive site and saw some great aquatic life.

Anyway, thumbs up from us on Capt. Slate's.

I have dove in the past with Capt Slates. It was fantastic, but then again the group I was with goes every year at the beginning of lobster season and goes out with him. Capt Slate captained the boat, he had a great knowledge of the area. We didn't make it out to the Grove, the currents where ripping and he didn't have enough DM's on board that had experience diving the Grove. Better safe then sorry I say. Anywho, just my .02 cents on Capt Slates.

Paul

My Wife and I went to Key Largo and Dove with Silent World. Have nothing bad to say about them at all. very accommodating and friendly. Great crew.

Dive Safely

Joe

IF you are staying in Tavernier, go with Tavernier Dive Center. We dove with them in FEB. 2004. We did 10 dives in 3 days. Did the Spiegel Grove. It is a LONG boat ride from there place - over 45 minutes on a CALM day. Duane/Bibb & Eagle are all close to TDC, so that should take care of your wrecks.

If you want to go to Slate's, it is at 106 Mile Marker. TDC is at high 80's or 90, so you are 16 miles away by car. Which in the Keys could take you 25 minutes or more. DON'T SPEED IN THE KEYS, MONROE COUNTY SHERIFF IS EVERYWHERE, THEY'LL GET YOU!!!!! I dove with Slate's last 4th of July weekend. They are closer to the SPiegel. THey have nice boats & shop.

Mike

Just did my OW checkouts with captain slate's and had a horrible time. They've been taking a beating down there with alot of wind and waves so they tried to get as many people out as they could without warning anyone of the conditions! He took snorkelers 4 miles out in 4-8 ft. waves on the two days I was with them and the crew almost seemed to enjoy the large number of people who got seasick! I dove with three other dive charters down there and was warned of the conditions at least 5 times between making resv. and getting on the boat, diver saftey before profit wins in my book every time.

I've been on Slate's boat many, many times. I've always found the crew to be very good. Sometimes, the boat can be a bit crowded, but sounds like you really got a good deal for 10 dives. I'd go with them. Eat your lunch at Buzzard's Roast.....just down the street from Slate's

Have fun,
SWT

Silent World is another good operation. They're at Mile Marker 103.

Sorry, Joe, I didn't see your earlier post.

-G

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom