Cape Hatteras - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from Cape Hatteras and thought Id write a review.

I had always wanted to dive with sharks and Bahamas seemed a bit expensive and far off. For me it had to be a US destination accessible by my 4-wheels so that I would not need to pay plane ticket. I had dived North Carolina wrecks from Morehead City before but never saw any sharks. This time I decided to try Cape Hatteras.

I contacted Captain JT of Under Pressure Dive Boat and asked if he would have any open spots. He runs a six pack which gets filled up in advance so when I contacted him, the dates I had requested were all gone. JT then connected me to Down Under Surf and Scuba shop that had chartered his boat for 4 days of diving. I then booked my 2-day trip through Scott, who was the trip leader. Booking through Scott did not cost me anything extra.

On Thursday Aug 11, I met Scott and JT at the boat. It was the biggest six pack I have been on. With an air-conditioned Cabin, and bunks to sleep on, DVD player and a book shelf it seemed an extremely luxurious set up. "I like to say I did it for my customers but to tell you the truth I did it for myself and my girl friend!" Said Captain JT. It showed. This boat did not have a commercial feel to it. It was a very personal and pampered boat. My favourite part was the elevator platform that brings divers up after the dive. I had never been on a boat that had one.

We dived two wrecks, Tarpon and British Splendour. The sea was as flat as a swimming pool and the ride was as smooth as my drive from Washington DC. Both dives were splendid to say the least. For the first time in my life I saw sand tiger sharks and they were extremely diver friendly. I am estimating that the viz was 50 - 60 ft on Tarpon and 40 - 50 ft on BS. Amazing dives with amazing creatures gliding all over.

The ride back was a lot of fun because JT pulls out his fishing rods and they started catching Baracudas! We also watched "Kick-Ass" on the DVD player since the ride back was over 2 hours. Still thos 2 hours were extremely enjoyable and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun.

After my first day of diving I was ready for the next day as we were supposed to hit Dixie Arrow. Then I got a call from a friend in DC telling me that his wife was delivering their first baby and he asked if we could be there. My wife who is also pregnant and in her 5th month started throwing fits that we have to be there for them! I thought if I am not there then I would never hear the end of it. I called Scott and JT and told them I would have to miss one day of diving and head back early. Normally dive boats do not refund money but JT was kind enough to tell me that he would try to find a diver to take my place the nxt day. He said if he was able to fill that spot then I would get refund for one day. I thought it was very nice of him.

Over all my trip was better than what I had expected. If I was to objectively rank each aspect of the trip the breakdown would looks as follows:

1. Quality of diving - 8 out of 10
2. Dive Boat (Under Pressure) - 10 out of 10
3. Price tag - 9 out of 10
4. Topside attractions in the area - 7 out of 10

Somethings to know before you go:

1. You can sleep on the boat if you wish to save money.

2. If you are diving air, JT can fill tanks on the boat. If you want nitrox, you will have to arrange it from Outer Banks Diving which is a few minutes drive and is the only dive shop.

3. Island has other things to do like para gliding and light house tours. If you have a spouse who does not dive, they wont get bored.

Ill try to get back at least once before the season ends. This is a perfect vacation spot for those who seek good quality diving but do not wish to spend many thousands flying away to exotic islands.

Great trip report! Thank you for taking the time to write it. I agree with you 100%.

TechDeep, JT is a local and charters his boat out of Dive Quarters in Virginia Beach.....fwiw

I know he has trips coming up, if you are interested in diving with Under Pressure, give DQ a call. The Capt and crew and boat are pretty amazing for a 6 pack charter. I have dove with them a few times and highly recommend them.

How was the Vis ? I am planning on hitting up the Outer Banks area in June and was thinking about taking in a few dives....

Water Temp?

thx

It looks like he went on that trip before the hurricane hit. I wonder how much things have changed? I know it cut one of the islands in half just south of Nags Head, and I heard it even moved one of the subs. I hope the dive ops are still in business. I'll be going out that way the last week of June.

One of the crew boats closed shop for a reason totally unrelated to Hurricane Irene. That will make getting a seat a little more difficult. There are two great 6 packs in "Lion's Paw" and "Under Pressure". Visibility should be it's normal 40-100' in June depending on conditions. Book your trip early, or come down to Morehead/Beaufort where there are a lot of good operators.

Yes, we are still here and already diving from Hatteras on Lion's Paw. JT should have the Under Pressure down from VA Bch by end of May. We both have air supply systems so that is no problem either. The new "Temporary Bridge" is across the new "Temporary Inlet" and you can drive on down to Hatteras just like before.

We made our first trip of the season this past Sat on April 14 and had some great conditions. We dived the Manuela as it was out in the warmer water. Inshore waters are still in the 60's but as we passed the Dixie Arrow things were improving. Just past the Proteus it was really nice and the water was 72.5 at the Manuela with no current the first dive and very little by the time we did the second dive. Just a 2' SE swell made the ride and SIT just fine. Vis was around 50 to 55 feet, Turtles, a few Sharks and lots of Amberjacks.

If we continue to get steady SW to SE winds the inshore will clean up and the shallower sites will be great early this season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom