Cape Ann, MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going to Cape Ann Sept 9 -12 and wondering if anyone has a link to any underwater photos from there? Also, any comments or input would be appreciated. I am going with my LDS and we are planning a night dive on Friday, to boat dives on Saturday, then on Sunday, two wall dives in the Annisquam River.

I saw those - not a lot though. Anyone else?

I'm going to take my camera and will post my photos when I get back, but would like to get an idea of what I can see before going. I am new to diving, certified only 8/14. I already bought my equipment because I really want to dive. But because I'm so new, photos would help prepare me for my experience.

Sue, I have no photos from there(pre camera dives) but have done several boat and shore dives at Cape Ann. Being so new and probably going for your first taste of salt, pics will not do the experience justice. You will know why on Sept 13:) For advice, I'd say be prepared for some current. One wreck dive I did there had a strong current followed by a second dive to another wreck nearby with almost no current, so conditions vary greatly. Listen to the locals and whomever is leading your group and just enjoy it. I wouldn't bother hunting down pics in an effort to prepare. It just won't be the same when you see it for real.

Jet

That's ok. The Chester Poling is a shallow wreck with life and conditions indicative of what you would see most anywhere...lots of red anenomes.

What boat are you going out with and what dives are you doing?

I've never heard of anyone diving in the Annisquam River...doesn't sound like much fun to me, especially when you are only minutes from the ocean!

Cape Ann Diving II for both days - according to the brochure. The Friday night dive is from Backs Beach. Halfway Rock is mentioned for Saturday at 1 pm with "Captain's Choice" for the 2nd dive. Sunday at 8 we go on the Cape Ann "and travel lup the Annisquan River to do two wall dives." - perhaps that means up the river to the north coast. I have to check further with the dive shop - but the dive leader is in Africa now - poor man! :) In the end, I guess it doesn't matter much - I'll just show up and dive.

Ah...

Cape Ann Diver II is the "big" boat for www.capeanndivers.com. I believe you'll be diving in the ocean, not in the "river".

Back Beach is kind of a lousy dive...I'd recommend going around the corner and diving at Old Garden Beach. The rest of your trip sounds fun, though!

Cape Ann divers is a good outfit and whatever they pick should be good. Don't forget this is NE diving so don't expect any frills. The boat will take you to a spot and thats about it. No DM in the water to guide you, just a good briefing.

Go to my web page for many examples of NE diving.

http://home.comcast.net/~cecsuej/HomePage.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom