Canucks rule the Wings!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaaahhh. Finally another good NHL debate.....

SCUBAJENNIFER:
Anyone wanna guess what I'm laughing at??

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

3rd time wasn't a charm for the Canucks...Isn't that like 5 games lost in 2 weeks?

Laughing??? All that tape on your mouth suggests you are doing something else.... :11:

:D

Bill

MtnDiver:
TRUE!

We could be leading the league if we were in the Central division and playing the Blues (2-11), Blackhawks (6-10) and Blue Jackets (5-11) every night. Every team in the Northwest division is at or above .500 so far for the season.

We will see what happens on the 23rd when we come to the Joe and play the Dead Things. :tongue2:

Oh yes we will see...I'll be in the Philippines, but you can be sure I will be checking NHL.com while I'm there. Wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to taunt you guys when we WIN!

And just so everyone is aware...The name of this thread will be changing on Sunday. I haven't quite decided what yet...depends on how badly we beat the Canucks.

heh he heh!

TCDiver1:
heh he heh!

Way to go Jon!!!

You are in charge of all taunting and trash talk until I get back, I know I'm leaving it in very capable hands! :wink:

FOUL!!!!! Game misconduct! Bertuzzi style suspension to MR TCDiver1!!!!! And definitely no "2 minutes for looking so good" for you! (old tv commercial for Grecian Formula and the Rocket...)

No changing of the name because Detroit has not earned the right! They have to beat the Canucks before the thread can be changed....so no! it will never be changed....
Now change it back! Cheater! :)

So, I've always wondered, "What the heck is a Canuck ?"

Diver Dennis:
Slang for the intrepid souls who inhabit the great white north, eh?

Yes, but what are the roots/origin of the word ?

Try this.

William and Mary Morris in their Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins (1962 and 1967) say that the best authority seems to indicate "canada" was originally a word in the Huron-Iroquois language meaning "a collection of lodges." So the first Canada was an Indian village. Jacques Cartier, the French navigator who discovered the St. Lawrence River, first used the word in an account of his travels of 1535. He spent the winter in an Indian village near the site of present-day Quebec. The chief waved his arms about as if to include all the land stretching beyond the horizon and exclaimed, "Kanata!" Cartier thought the chief meant Kanata was the name for the entire area (along the St. Lawrence, from Grosse Ile in the east to near Quebec in the west), but it only referred to the Indian settlement nearby.
The earliest recorded use of the term Canuck, sometimes spelled Kanuk, was in 1835. Similar terms such as Cannakers or Canukers were in use in the 1840s. The term was first used in lumber camps in Maine to refer to French Canadian loggers working in the Maine woods. It was used to distinguish them from other Canadians. Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1970) suggests it was "possibly a corruption of Connaught, a name originally applied by the French Canadians to the Irish immigrants." This seems unlikely.

The usage had spread by 1850 to mean all Canadians, sometimes used as a derogatory term. Canadians generally use it with pride or light-heartedly. "Johnny Canuck" is a personification of Canada, dating from 1902, just as "Uncle Sam" personifies the U.S. There is at least one hockey team calling itself the Canucks.

The term "kanakas" meaning Hawaiian islanders is probably not related, although some authorities suggest there might be a relation. There is also the term cañada (note the tilde over the n), a Spanish word meaning a glen or small dale between two mountains, presumably also not related.

Back
Top Bottom