Cant suck air through Atomic regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domskynetlabs

Registered
Reaction score
My gear was in storage for 4 months. I went to test my reg, when i opened up my tank air blew out of the pinsize emergency blow off valve on the tank instead of going to my mouth piece. I took apart my reg but cant find the problem please help.

domskynetlabs:
My gear was in storage for 4 months. I went to test my reg, when i opened up my tank air blew out of the pinsize emergency blow off valve on the tank instead of going to my mouth piece. I took apart my reg but cant find the problem please help.
Dude.

Unless you're a trained technician and have the tools and spare parts to disassemble Atomic regulators, "I took apart my reg" is the wrong answer.

Put all the parts in a box and take it to a qualified tech.

And don't be taking apart the pieces of your life support system unless you take the necessary technical courses to become certified and buy the tools and parts to do so. This sport is one that can kill you. C'mon now.

"I took apart my reg"...

did you try another tank? which stage did you take apart? I can see a problem with taking the first stage apart, but the second stage? I have taken my second stage apart about every third dive. I will admit some people should not go anywhere near their own equipment repair, but the second stage??

I am very mechanically inclined but I believe you are all right I should'nt be touching my gear. A repair center probably wont run me more than 40 dollars. I was just very curious to see if I could fix the problem my self and learn something in the process. I believe my first stage might be missing a high pressure washer or rubber lining. If that makes any sense.

This really sounds like it is out in left field but did you blow an O-ring on your tank. The ones that I have heard, you would know it for sure. It isn't a slow leak.

domskynetlabs:
I speculate that when you say “pinsize emergency blow off valve on the tank” you are talking about the relief hole in the nut that holds the burst disk in place in the tank valve (I don’t know what else it could be). I’ll further speculate that your valve is an older model (single hole in the nut can be a clue). An old valve could mean an old burst disk that has seen many pressure changes, perhaps causing metal fatigue, and it would no longer hold pressure and blew. These burst disks feel the pressure in the tank at all times, even when the valve is off. Turning the valve on did not increase the pressure, but it might have provided just enough extra disturbance to pop it.

Your regulator may well have been fine before you took it apart. It certainly did not cause an increase in pressure to blow the burst disk.

I wonder... is this a DIN setup? If so, replace the O-Ring on your regulator. The air from that bleed hole indicates a missing or damaged o-ring.

Knotical, the burst disc is under pressure at all times. Turning the valve to "on" should not cause it to leak (though I have seen stranger things happen).

NetDoc:
I wonder... is this a DIN setup? If so, replace the O-Ring on your regulator. The air from that bleed hole indicates a missing or damaged o-ring.

Knotical, the burst disc is under pressure at all times. Turning the valve to "on" should not cause it to leak (though I have seen stranger things happen).

Where is this O-Ring on the regulator?

Back
Top Bottom