Cant suck air through Atomic regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is this O-Ring on the regulator?
It would be on the end that goes in to the DIN valve.

On K valves, the O-Ring is located on the valve.

On DIN valves, the O-Ring is located on the regulator.

domskynetlabs:
lol im sorry I honestly have no clue what O-ring he is talking about.

I'm still not sure whether you are talking DIN or yoke. I do not use DIN but have attached a schematic of the Scubapro Mk10 DIN connector. I expect that the Atomic configuration is similiar. #33 and #37 are o-ring with 37 on the reg side and 33 on the tank valve side.

The problem is that neither of those O-rings should be capable of shutting off the air supply. In fact, even a leak at the burst disk should not halt the delivery of air until the tank is empty. So it is very difficult to understand the problem you are reporting unless you are dealing with an empty tank or non-functioning tank valve. In either case, disassembling that reg will only compound your problem.

domskynetlabs:
My gear was in storage for 4 months. I went to test my reg, when i opened up my tank air blew out of the pinsize emergency blow off valve on the tank instead of going to my mouth piece. I took apart my reg but cant find the problem please help.
There are people on this board who are qualified to answer your question - they will need more information about your gear and the nature of the problem before they can make an educated guess. There are also people on this board who aren't qualified but are willing to make a WAG, anyway - after all, their answer isn't going to get them killed. :D

It's good that you want to learn about how your gear works and I won't fault you for wanting to see if you can repair it yourself. This is probably a simple problem but your inability to describe it in sufficient detail means the learning gap is too big for you to risk using the internet as an educational tool.

Take the regulator and tank into a shop and ask the technician to show you what has happened and how it needs to be fixed. There are a number of possibilities, the odd part is your implication that air is not getting to the second stage - which might also mean that there are multiple problems at play here. A good technician will explain (and demonstrate) the problem so that you can understand what has happened.

hecker-the-wrecker:
I can see a problem with taking the first stage apart, but the second stage? I have taken my second stage apart about every third dive. I will admit some people should not go anywhere near their own equipment repair, but the second stage??
There is a difference between removing the cover plate and diaphragm to clean/clear the chamber and actually disassembling the second stage. Rotating the diaphragm 90 degrees on some regulators will cause serious performance issues. Even something as simple as a minor distortion of the valve lever can mean that the regulator needs to be retuned. Removing (and certainly opening) the valve module will mean that the second stage should be tested and very possibly retuned, something very few people have the tools or knowledge to do.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to grab my camera and take detailed pictures of the gear to show everyone.

domskynetlabs:
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to grab my camera and take detailed pictures of the gear to show everyone.

We'll all be interested to see it, but that doesn't change the outcome. You still need to get all your parts together and take it to a shop that does Atomic and ask them to fix it. :cool:

In fact, even if someone here can look at the pic and say "Yeah, it's the primary backup hooziewhatsie" you'll still need parts, and tools and test equipment and probably a service manual or some help, so it would need to go back to the shop anyway.

Terry

I just looked at my DIN headon where it would screw into my tank and it is missing a small oring I believe it sits below the outlet.

Web Monkey:
We'll all be interested to see it, but that doesn't change the outcome. You still need to get all your parts together and take it to a shop that does Atomic and ask them to fix it. :cool:

In fact, even if someone here can look at the pic and say "Yeah, it's the primary backup hooziewhatsie" you'll still need parts, and tools and test equipment and probably a service manual or some help, so it would need to go back to the shop anyway.

Terry

domskynetlabs:
I just looked at my DIN headon where it would screw into my tank and it is missing a small oring I believe it sits below the outlet.

Sorry, I can't help there. I've never used DIN.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom